[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Brook Humphrey bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 13 May 2001 15:42:32 -0700

Tim Brodie wrote:

> [...]

Get mandrake 8.0 instead of mandrake 7.1

I've probably used every version of red hat since 5.0, mandrake since
5.3, slackware since 4.0, turbolinux a few times, cadera since 2.1, suse
since 6.1, corel, peanutlinux, and a few other firewall, floppy and
secure linux distros, after messing with all these some distros seem to
just work better. They support the developers better and things just
work without me having to mess with it. Don;t get me wrong I've had to
compile my kernel a few times and other things like setting up my modems
before the distro's started setting them up automatically then it was
manually setting up samba and firewalls. And after all this it is nice
to have a distro that does most of this tedious work for me.

as far as that goes mandrake offers everthing freely. and thier stuff
just works. They even include the static libs if I want to try and
compile them in. It takes allot of the mundane work off my hands.

Now that said redhat is ok. Just seems to be missing things after using
mandrake. But on a side note 7.1 seems to be a vast improvement. Still
doesn't do as much as mandrake 8.0 but its getting better.

Suse comes with so much stuff it's unreal. but the gpl versions once
again don't include as much as mandrake.I do however like suse. It's
very good.

Caldera always seems to have problems compileing source for me. Some
tings work others don't.

corel is almost the same as windows.

slackware is stable but i'm less familiar with it

I tried debian And have never been able to get it to install thats
including storm's version. I may try progeny soon and see wats its like.

> I know there is a considerable install base in north america in rh6.2.
> Is your intent to eliminate environmental problems with building static
> linked binaries?

yes that was my thought.

> I am able to run KDE2.1.1 on my rh6.2 box very well... it works a treat.
> Is it a desired objective of the development team to address this
> market?  Or in other words, is there specific distribution(s) that
> BibleTime is primarily directed to?

No but I'm not a programmer, I'm a scripter(websites, php, shell
scripts), so if it doesn't compile all I can do is report it. if the
errors are to wierd like with redhat 7.0 and caldera I not sure that any
of us know what to do to fix it.

  The main programmer Joachim uses suse and mandrake.