[bt-devel] Missing bt-printing

Chris Kujawa bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 13 May 2001 07:41:47 -0400

Tim:

>If our objective is to ensure a painless installation, we need to be able to
>articulate what those things are, don't you agree?

I agree.  I guess I have just gotten used to the fact that I often have to
figure out which 3/4 of my system packages upgrade in order to install new
software.

> I also needed to upgrade my rpm package from v3.0.4(also a dangerous
> process; I lost my package database and had to rebuild it) in order to
> even try to install the binary distribution(s).

I know what you mean.  When I upgraded KDE, my system locked up to the point
where I couldn't even ssh in to shut it down.  Power cycling (*OUCH!*) kindly
corrupted my mbr:(

> I'm going to assume that I need to move from XFree 4.0.1 to 4.0.3 on my
> rh7 box today to get the libXrender and libXft libraries, and take your
> advice to upgrade the libstdc++ as well.  Also, another post alludes to
> the broken compiler in rh7.  If this is a problem to BibleTime, then
> should we say so in the documentation?  Risking being pendantic again,
> but should the documentation for developers state what compiler version
> most are developing on?  GCC v2.95.2 if 2.96 is broken?

The compiler was listed as a RH problem a while ago on their site.   They
have posted a fix for both the compiler and the libraries on their site as
well.  I would agree that it might be good to list it in the install docs, or
even in a FAQ, like the developers of QCAD have done.   Perhaps I can add
that in somewhere, if anyone has any suggestions?

Chris