[bt-devel] Discussion: New features for 1.1 and release plan

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:19:03 +0200

Hi!
We need a little discussion about the features which should be implemented in
1.1.

I'd suggest this:

BibleTime 1.1
------------------
BibleTime 1.1 should not take so long in development. That's why we only
integrate one new feature. The other things are smaller improvments. 1.1
should be based on Unicode and not on module specific fonts. If more than one
developer are working at the same time it should be finished fast.
	-New features:
	------------------
		o New module installation dialog: This was already discussed on this list.
Should be very easy to use, powerful and fast. It should support automatic
download, unpacking and installation. The manager should also check for
common problems like access rights etc. This task is a little more difficult.

	-Improvements:
	-------------------
		o Better printing: It should not only depend on verses and chapters. It
should be possible to print selected text of display windows and preview
widgets.
		o Better Drag&Drop system: The current Drag&Drop of only one item is not
good enough. It should be possible to drag more than one module, reference
and bookmark at the same time. It should be possible to drag different types
together.
		o Undo&Redo in the main index: Undo&Redo should be possible for the actions
in the CGroupManager class. Maybe we should use the KCommand* classes of the
kdeui library, but this would require KDE 2.1 or later
		o Small changes to the chapter display: The current verse should not be
highlighted, but it should jump to the verse (no new lookup)
		o Better optionsdialog: More options like selection of prefered strong
dictionary, prefered bible etc. The last options should be similair to the
windows frontend's optiondialog.
		o Save state of workspace: The status of the workspace should be saved on
closing BibleTime. Different profiles etc. should be implemented after 1.1.

After BibleTime 1.1
------------------------
	After 1.1 we should implement support for automatic module creation using
SWModule::CreateModule, write support for Bibles and lexicons/dictionaries.
We should also improve the editor for this new write support, we should add
spell checking etc.
We should also add support for different workspace profiles.

BibleTime 2.0
Major improvements like a new display widget, a new workspace, morphological
analysis, interlinear support, right to left etc.

Please post comments and changed to this plan. After the discussion I will
publish a new plan which should be used by all developers.
If you like you may volunteer for the different tasks now!

Thank you and may God bless you all! I'm glad that so many new developers
arrived in our tam!

Joachim