[bt-devel] handbook codepage problem

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:23:54 -0400

I opened /bibletime/bibletime/docs/cs/HTML/h2_basics.html

I found

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Základy studia Bible</TITLE>
<META NAME="GENERATOR"
CONTENT="Modular DocBook HTML Stylesheet Version 1.64
">
.
.
.
<META
HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language"
CONTENT="cs">
<LINK REL="stylesheet"
HREF="common/kde-localised.css"
TYPE="text/css"
TITLE="KDE-Czech"><LINK
REL="stylesheet"
HREF="common/kde-default.css"
TYPE="text/css"
TITLE="KDE-Default">
</HEAD>
<BODY
CLASS="CHAPTER"
BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF"
TEXT="#000000"
LINK="#AA0000"
VLINK="#AA0055"
ALINK="#AA0000"
STYLE="font-family: sans-serif;"

.
.
.

As the 'charset=iso-8859-2' is present (in the cvs), I doubt that this
is the trouble.  This should be the same in all of the published files.
If the line is not present in your copy, please let us know which file
you installed from.

I updated my CVS files locally and tested the handbook files (some of
them anyway) in both /cs and /sk.  In netscape they display just fine
(please note that this is the appearance only, my knowledge of Czecho
and Slovak is limited to knowing that I should not see strange
characters in the text).  In KDE most of the text appears to be OK, but
there were occasional characters that did not look reasonable.

I think this might be a KDE bug.

I am running Mandrake 7.2 with the latest mandrake 7.2 upgrades.

My suggestion.  Make sure that the correct local is installed  In
mandrake this would be done by installing something like
kde-i18n-Czech.rpm and locales-cs.rpm (i think this installs the correct
fonts and sets up kde.)

See if you can open the handbook with another browser.

If these ideas don't help, one of the programmers will need to help.
Please let us know i