[bt-devel] 1.1 issues

Luke Mauldin bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:51:09 -0500

I have done some testing myself over the past few hours, and I have a 1.33
Ghz Athlon with 256 MB of DDRAM so it is a bit hard to tell exactly where I
need to work on since everything is pretty fast  :)  I did do some profiling
though and I found that most of the time is spent in Qt3 and its functions.
Qt3::QTextFormatterBreakWords::format takes up 20.690% of execuation time,
Qt3::QTextString::width takes up 12.070%, Qt3::QTextParag::paint takes up
10.340%, and in all Qt3 functions take up over 75% of runtime.  They are
called MANY times.  Qt3::QTextString::width is called 972284 times!  Many
other Qt3 functions are called 3000-4000 times.  Where did the Qt3 "stuff"
come from?  Did it come from actual Qt3 betas?  I know there was a new beta
released recently, if the stuff in bibletime came from an eariler Qt3 beta,
maybe we could "update" the bibletime version to a later version of the Qt3
beta?  Also, do we really need to be calling those functions THAT many times?
 I was only in bibletime for about 10 min.  In several of those functions I
saw that pointers were used excessively, and while pointers can be good
things, they CAN majorly restrict the compiler's optimiaztion because
sometimes the compiler has a difficult time determining what the pointer is
pointing to and optimizating the code.

Luke