[bt-devel] thread problems

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:24:55 +0100

Hi Martin!

> > > But BT still is not thread-safe, is it? What if I search a module and
> > > meanwhile modify a presenter showing this module? Is this solution now
> > > acceptable?
> >
> > No, it's no thread safe.
> > If you modify and search a module at the same time the search will stop.
> > The solution does at least fix the nasty bug.
>
> Are you going to release 1.0 soon? Is this behaviour acceptable for 1.0?

The behavious is acceptable for 1.0, because we have no time and knowledge to
make Sword and BibleTime thread safe. We have to leave the bug open., sorry.

But I think we are not yet ready for version 1.0.
The major things which are still missing:

	-Use a good edit widget for the commentary presenter
	Today I tested a Qt 3.0 snapshot which contains the new QTextEdit widget.
This widget is _very_ good, it supports loading and saving of HTML pages,
bold, italic, underlined, different fonts, colors, sizes, bullets and all
other important things. This widget would be a very good solution, but I'm
not able to convert it to Qt 2.2 because lots of Qt 3.0 internals are
different to the ones of Qt 2.2, sorry again.
What should we use now?

	-The handbook should be finished
	-The translations should be done
	-We should implement functions to create and manage the search indexes
	-Installation of modules is still very hard to do for newbies or "normal"
linux users
	-We have still some major bugs (in printing, searchdialog etc.)
	-The scope part of the searchdialog is missing
	-Font management is not implemented

Looks like we will still need some time (maybe even years ;)

Do you other ideas?

> Martin

BibleTime - www.bibletime.de - info@bibletime.de
BibleTime is an easy to use Bible study tool for KDE / Linux.