[bt-devel] User Error!! Handbook - Trial docbook conversion of first time start

fred bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:20:06 -0500

--------------F1CAAD4C155AD6C2C7173990

fred wrote:
This morning I realized that I mailed the bad version of
helpdialog.docbook yesterday.

I also added another section, using question and answer tags rather than
the table format.

Fred Saalbach

> Hello Joachim:
>
> The attachment is the bibletime 0.3 first time help screen in
> DocBook.  It
> parses with out errors on my machine.
>
> The attachment some changes from the original:
>
> <para> tags don't work properly inside of tables, so I removed them.
>
> Typographical errors were corrected.
>
> Some paragraphs don't read correctly in US english.  I changed these
> slightly.  These seem to have had mixed english with german grammar.
> Don't
> apologize, my german is almost incomprehensible even to me.
>
> I split some compound words.  This might not be a correct in all
> cases.  If
> helpdialog.docbook is used later I may need to reconnect the ones that
> are
> module names.
>
> One oddity
>
> The style sheet places the KDesktop Environment logo and link in the
> display
> page header.  If we want to put something else there I think we will
> need to
> modify the style sheetset at
> /usr/share/apps/ksgmltools/stylesheets/kde.dsl
> I looked at these and think they are beyond by current skill level.
> This is
> probably not particularly important just now.
>
> When you have time please do a 'kdb2html helpdialog.docbook' and see
> if the
> output looks like it displays in the correct format.  I am not really
> concerned with the content just yet, I am trying to make sure that the
> output
> form works.
>
> Note to mail list
> If anyone else wants to try and see if helpdialog.docbook can be
> processed
> into HTML please do so.  The session looks somthing like this:
>
> [fks00@localhost DocBook]$  kdb2html  helpdialog.dockbook
> jade -c /usr/share/apps/ksgmltools/catalog -c
> /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat
> -c
> /etc/sgml/dsssl.cat -t sgml -d
> /usr/share/apps/ksgmltools/stylesheets/kde.dsl#html
> ../helpdialog.dockbook
> [fks00@localhost DocBook]$
>
> If that does not work, you might try running openjade or any of the
> sgmltools
> on it if they are run using a styke sheet other than ../kde.dsl the
> output
> format will be different, but some sort of display should result.
> This would
> be a test of the software on your computer.  If this does not work,
> add the
> package sgmltools, and try again.
>
> Best regards
> Fred saalbach

--------------F1CAAD4C155AD6C2C7173990

<!DOCTYPE Book PUBLIC "-//KDE//DTD DocBook V3.1-Based Variant V1.0//EN">
<book lang="en" id="bibletime">

<bookinfo>

<title>Bibletime Help Dialog</title>

<authorgroup>

<author>
<firstname>Jeffrey</firstname>
<surname>Hoyt</surname>
</author>

<author>
<firstname>Joachim</firstname>
<surname>Ansorg</surname>
</author>

</authorgroup>

<date>01/14/2001</date>
<releaseinfo>BT 0.3.1 working draft </releaseinfo>

<abstract>
<para>
<application>BibleTime</application> is an application to aid in study of the
Bible. It provides an easy to use but powerful interface. </para>
</abstract>

<keywordset>
<keyword>BibleTime</keyword>
<keyword>Sword</keyword>
<keyword>Crosswire</keyword>
<keyword>help dialog</keyword>
</keywordset>

</bookinfo>

<chapter id="first_startup">
<title>First Startup</title>

<title>

The first startup of BibleTime!  This table describes the features of BibleTime!

</title>
<tgroup cols="2">
<thead>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>
Feature
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>
<emphasis>
Description
</emphasis>
</entry>
</row>
</thead>
<tbody>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>

MDI

</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

MDI is the abbrevation for <emphasis>Multiple Document Interface.</emphasis>
With the help of MDI it's possible to have more than one presenter opened at the
same time! You may view two different bibles side by side and compare their
text. But it's also possible to open only one window as in BibleTime 0.2x. The
menu <emphasis>Window</emphasis> is used to work with the MDI interface.

The MDI area will only contain presenters, nothing else. This clean
presentation avoids confusing users with too many choices.

</entry>
</row>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>
Presenter
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

A presenter is a window inside the MDI area of BibleTime. A presenters presents
the content of a SWORD module in a reasonable format (for example Bibles will
be displayed as HTML text with hyperlinks to verse references).

We use presenters to have a general approach for the future:
SWORD will be extended more and more and new module types will be created. We
simply create a new presenter type for a new module types, isn't this easy to
understand? BibleTime will be extensible in the future, to include all new
modules (e.g. graphics, sound, etc.).

</entry>
</row>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>
Group manager
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

The group manager is the tree on the left side of BibleTime's main window.  The
group manager combines the bookmark management and module management of
BibleTime 0.2x. To work with the Group manager use the right mouse button menu.

The group manager is Drag 'n' Drop capable: You can drag verse references from a
presenter into the group manager to create a bookmark, and you can move items in
the tree (e.g. move groups or bookmarks into another group)

</entry>
</row>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>
Search interface
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

The searchpart is now in its own window. Click with the right mouse button on a
module and select "Search module(s)" to open the search dialog. The dialog
contains sections to enter the search phrase, set the search scope and to navigate
through the found items. The last tab shows the graphical search analysis.

</entry>
</row>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>
Drag 'n' Drop
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

Drag & Drop is an important part of BibleTime! You can drag modules, verse
references, bookmarks, groups, search results etc. Places where you can drop
them are the group manager, the presenters and the commentary editor.

Simply play around a little to find out how our Drag & Drop system does work!
We hope you like it.

</entry>
</row>
</tbody>
</tgroup>

<title>

Here's a short list of useful URLS with more information about BibleTime!

</title>
<tgroup cols="2">
<thead>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>

URL

</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>
<emphasis>

Description

</emphasis>
</entry>
</row>
</thead>
<tbody>
<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>

<ulink url="http://www.bibletime.de/">www.bibletime.de

</ulink>
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

This is the homepage of BibleTime! Browse to this page to read documentation
pages. Don't forget to read the FAQ on www.bibletime.de, it contains answers to
questions you'll probably have.

</entry>
</row>

<row>
<entry>
<emphasis>

<ulink url="http://www.crosswire.or</emphasis>g/">www.crosswire.org

</ulink>
</emphasis>
</entry>
<entry>

This is the home of Crosswire! Crosswire is the Bible society which produces the
library we use to access the modules: SWORD! On this page you'll get the modules
you want to have. But don't forget that some modules are locked because there
are copyright restrictions.

</entry>
</row>
</tbody>
</tgroup>
</chapter>

<chapter id="no_modules">
<title>No modules installed!</title>

<para>There are no installed Sword modules! </para>
<para>This page describes what modules are and how to solve the problem </para>

<qandaset>
<qandaentry>
<question>
<para>
What is a module?
</para>
</question>
<answer>
<para>
A SWORD module is the base of BibleTime. A module may be a Bible,
a commentary or a lexicon. Later we will have maps and other interesting stuff.
It's not possible to work correctly with BibleTime if no modules are installed
although it's possible to test BibleTime without installed modules.
</para>
</answer>
</qandaentry>
<qandaentry>
<question>
<para>
How do I solve the problem?
</para>
</question>
<answer>
<para>Please download some modules and install them!  Get the modules at
www.crosswire.org. Please read the installation instructions of our
<ulink url="index.html">handbook</ulink> and of our homepage.
</para>
</answer>
</qandaentry>
<qandaentry>