[bt-devel] Another question: Caching

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:47:14 +0100

Hi!

> > I was thinking about caching the texts rendered by the display object
> > (CHTMLChapterDisplay and CHTMLEntryDisplay).
> > Does somebody know if it gives reasonable speed improvements? Or  does
> > this depend on the speed of the PC (e.g. speed with caching on a 486
> > compared to an K7)?

> I use a K6 200, and caching doesn't improve display speed. I guess that is
> not where we must optimize. Let us save the memory in this place.
>
> BTW, i guess BT won't work on a 486 with the current memory footprint ;)

Yes, it would be sloooow. Startup of BibleTime takes some time on a P75
notebook, but it runs reasonable fast.
But we hhave to optimize things in speed and memory usage.

Is there anywhere a good source of information about this topic?

> Martin

BibleTime - www.bibletime.de - info@bibletime.de
BibleTime is an easy to use Bible study tool for KDE / Linux.