[bt-devel] Handbook for version 1.0

fred bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:54:15 -0500

Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Joachim
> > After playing around with the 'index.docbook' file I find that my version
> > of SuSE has a number of tooks for working on the docbook file.  It would be
> > useful to know which tools you use, and if a style sheet has been made to
> > produce the html version from docbook.  As I have not used these tools
> > before I would preferr to start with tools that someone else is using.
>
> I use the KDE 2.0 tools provided to support developers with docbook files.
>
> I use the command "kdb2html" which is included in KDE2 (and with my SUSE 7.0).

I have SuSE 6.3 (6 disk version) and mandrake 7.2.  (1 1/2 disk version) I guess
that I might need to download the development tools off of the kde site and load
them into mandrake.  Updating the suse probably would be a lot more modem time.
Suse 6.3 has the docbook tools that are not the kde varient, so the file that is
creating the problem is probably the missing kde varient of the DTD.  As i don't
have this open jade can't fint the DTD referenced in your first line.

> > My first try parsing index.docbook using openjade indicated that all of the
> > tags were undefined, which indicates that I probably needed  to call a
> > style sheet.
> >
> > Also is the intent to convert all of the documentation so that the
> > presented version can be generated from docbook file?
>
> Which documentation?
> Do you talk about the help-screens?

My question was the result of seeing that you had converted the "documentation
package" into docbook format (index.docbook).  There are other pages like the
first time startup screen that are not yet converted.

I have been told by people at the local users group that the main advantage of
DocBook is that it will from one source file allow the production of what amount
to print jobs in a number of formats.  For example the .html or info files can
both be produced.   And to also change the format of the presentation by working
only with the style sheet, rather than changing the format on every html page.

Right now I am at the stage of figuring out how to make the tools to work, but it
would be a good idea to know how much of the documentation should be in DocBook
format.