[bt-devel] Helpdialog - dockbook format

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:46:21 -0500

See my note halfway down
Fred

Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I have posted the help dialog in docbook format.  There ar 7 *.docbook
> > files added to 'bibletime-2/bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog/'.  One for
> > each helpdialog file, and index.dockbook.
>
> Thank you very much Fred!
> I'll remove the old chapter (helpdialog in the hendbook).
>
> > Jochim
> > Please update the makefiles for
> > bibletime-2/bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog
> > bibletime-2/bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog/HTML
> > bibletime-2/bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog/HTML/common
>
> OK.
> Where should the files of the helpdialog be installed?

As I kept the file names the same, if they are installed to the same place
(folder) as the existing files no other changes should be needed for
Bibletime to use them.
For example

bibletime-2/bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog/HTML/initbackend_failed.html
installs to
/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/bibletime/initbackend_failed.html

and

bibletime-2/bibletime/docs/en/helpdialog/HTML/common/*
installs to
/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/bibletime/HTML/common/*

I just realized that one thing I was doing might cause some trouble.  If
all of the HTML documents (help dialog and handbook) associated with
Bibletime are installed here then there could be a problem.
The docbook DTD always assigns the name for the index as index.docbook -
there does not seem to be any easy way to change this, so if we install the
help dialog and the handbook here we seem to have the following choices.

   * Include the help dialog and the handbook in a single docbook document
     so that a single index is created.
   * Only install the index from the help dialog.
   * Create several directories for Bibletime documents.

I think that I prefer to try to put everything into one document first.  If
i can make this work, it should be easier for users.

Does anyone have any comments on this?