[bt-devel] thread safety

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:06:46 +0100

When I start bt with the normal sword configuration I use, it comsumes about
9460 KB right after starting.
If I start without any sword modules, bt will comsume 9264 KB.
Thus the sword modules and our "backend" enhancements comsume only ~200KB.

Now, since we should have bt thread safe before 1.0, we should change the
architecture. Every presenter, the searchdialog and the groupmanager will get
their own modules. Thats how gnomesword does it; and that should bring the
thread safety without flooding the memory.
We would have to find some way of storing the key caches somewhere, but that
should be possible. We could do it in swordbackend. Swordbackend would no
longer contain a list of modules, but rather a list of module names and
create a module only if needed. That should be rather easy, cause the
existing swordbackend is excellent work.

Please agree, disagree etc. :)

Martin