[bt-devel] Docbook - entity question

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:25:38 -0500

Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> > Would making application names and other such items that should not be
> > translated be make entities?  I wounder if this would stop kbable from
> > attempting to translate the application name "sword" to the german
> > equivelant of "war knife".  Sorry I don't remember the exact german
> > words here.
>
> This would be "Schwert" =)

actually i think it came out Krieg somthing, I knew this was wrong so I
changed all of them back to Sword in the trial po.  Automatic
translation does weard things sometimes.

> (With my very limited knowledge of this area) I like your idea.
>
> > examples can be found in the general.entities file in our case the
> > entities would be added to the index.docbook file so the problem might
> > still exist at that point.
>
> You could probably introduce such a file in
> bibletime-doc/docs/general.identities
> which would be common for all languages, and not translated. Does that make
> sense?

That might work, but the file bibletime-doc/docs/general.identities
needs to be defined in the <!DOCTYPE headder of index.docbook this might
be a bit complicated, I think it would be easier to put it in the
document header for know somthing like this.

Adding these lines to the system files (which is really where they
should be) is probably dangerous.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//KDE//DTD DocBook XML V4.1-Based Variant
V1.0//EN" "dtd/kdex.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY bibletime '<application>BibleTime</application>'>
  <!ENTITY bibletimehdbk "&bibletime; Handbook">
  <!ENTITY swd '<application>Sword</application>'>
  <!ENTITY % addindex "IGNORE">
  <!ENTITY % English "INCLUDE"><!-- change language only here -->

  <!-- user entities -->

  <!ENTITY instchap1 SYSTEM "inst-bin.docbook">
  <!ENTITY instchap2 SYSTEM "inst-preq.docbook">
  <!ENTITY instchap3 SYSTEM "inst-sources.docbook">
  <!ENTITY instchap4 SYSTEM "inst-user.docbook">
  <!ENTITY appa SYSTEM "inst-installmgr.docbook">
  <!-- Do not define any other entities; instead, use the entities
       from kde-genent.entities and $LANG/user.entities. -->
]>

*
*
*

&instchap1;
&instchap2;
&instchap3;
&instchap4;
&appa;
</book>
<!--
Local Variables:
mode: sgml
sgml-minimize-attributes:nil
sgml-general-insert-case:lower
sgml-indent-step:0
sgml-indent-data:nil
End:
-->

--
II Chronicles 7:14 (The Webster Bible)
If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and

Luther Bible
Und mein Volk sich demütigt, das nach meinem Namen genannt ist, daß sie
beten und mein Angesicht suchen und sich von ihren bösen Wegen bekehren
werden: so will ich vom Himmel hören und ihre Sünde vergeben und ihr
Land heilen.

Spanish Reina-Valera Bible
Si se humillare mi pueblo, sobre los cuales ni nombre es invocado, y
oraren, y buscaren mi rostro, y se convirtieren de sus malos caminos;
entonces yo oiré desde los cielos, y perdonaré sus pecados, y sanaré su
tierra.