[bt-devel] HELP! Need your feedback on XML Markup Language

Troy A. Griffitts bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 04:08:26 -0700

Martin,
	Thanks for the comments.

> I am not an expert in this area but what you said makes sense.
> Are there alternatives other than XML? Isn't bibletechnologies creating an
> XML standard?

Yes, but remember: bibletechnologies is US!  It's an open standards
body.  And if we don't talk about these things, it will get done for us
without our input-- and probably not address our problems.

> Would it be possible in this special case to split the <quoting>?

You mean like:

>From invalid:

<Verse>Text for <Quote>a verse</Verse><Verse>text for the </Quote>next
verse</Verse>

To valid:
<Verse>Text for <Quote>a verse</Quote></Verse><Verse><Quote>text for the
</Quote>next verse</Verse>

This does make the XML valid, but doesn't address this issue:

1. John said, "Woe to them."
2. "Oh, yeah?!", replied Jane.

In this example, it is ambiguous in our new markup whether this is one
big quote or whether it is 2 separate quotes.  From context, we can
tell, but the computer won't be able to.  i.e. We won't be able to tell
if the quote REALLY ends at the end of the verse or if we're just ending
it because we have to, to satisfy XML syntax.