[bt-devel] bookmarks

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:52:02 +0200

> Is this a good time to talk about bookmarks again?

I guess so.

> This is form gnomesword:

Last time we talked about it we thought it might be good to implement the
bookmarks in sword because many of the frontends use them. The details of the
implementation are not so important, but we must talk about what a "bookmark"
is and what we should be able to do with it.

I'll start with some suggestions:
a) a key (from the module it was generated from)
b) delocalized version of that key (for people who don't have the original
locale)
c) maybe a version of that key in the standard versification scheme, if there
will be one
d) a description (?)
e) a caption
f) what is missing?
g) markup for d) and e)? ThML?

Bookmarks (esp. in bibles) should be transferrable to other locales (same
module). And they should be transferrable to other modules (different
versification schemes) still pointing to the correct location. And they
should be in UTF-8. =)

> I use strtok() to seperate each part. I'm sure there has to be
> a better way!

Sword should provide the different parts of a bookmark as different members
of a bookmark object.
There should be bookmark im- and export functions to the different markups
like ThML. Maybe this will have to wait until 2.0?

Martin