[bt-devel] Fwd: Re: SWORD

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:24:50 -0400

It is not necessarily bad, it depends on what the group thinks about
using the program for purposes other than bible research.  I just wanted
to make sure this issue was considered.  I suppose if this feature is
added at some future time bible time could morph into a general research
tool.

In case of using bible time with text that are not bible related, the
primary goal of presenting the scriptures is still possible as the "tip
of the day" starts the users session with scripture quotation.  That was
a very good idea.

By the way, the fair use clause in the US copyright law is not present
in all other countries law, and even here it is under attack by some
commercial interests.  This is important as copyrights registered in the
US are valid in europe as are european copyrights valid in the US.  The
rules for enforcement however are the local laws not the law in the
country of registration.

My understanding is that it would allow the owner of a text to scan it
to an ascii file, as long as it was for his personal use.  If he
distributed the ascii file in whole or a large portion thereof (even if
it was distributed for free) it would be a violation.