[bt-devel] proposal

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:10:17 +0000

Hi Martin and Darwin!

> > I don't want to rewrite all the stuff for another lib.
>
> Agreed, the overhead would be too big, and QT is pretty good IMO.

> > And don't forget I'm Linux only and hate windows (I've thrown it away).

> Joachim, please don't think I want to throw all the work away that you have
> already done. I also like linux better, but windows is still the OS that is
> used on most of the computers in the world.
> As you stated in your logo proposal, this work is for Jesus. And therefor
> IMO not only for a small group of skilled PC users, but I may be wrong
> here. Our aim should not be creating a program that WE like to play with,
> but rather a program that will help many people to study God's word better.
> That is even possible without KDE2 styles ;-)

Ok, these statements are true.

> IMO porting would not mean to do all the work again. Most of it is already
> platform independent. There would be a lot of work, sure, but IMO it would
> be worth it.
>
> I hope you are not angry at me :-|

No.

> IMO this ia a very important issue.
> But if we decide not to do it, ok.

More and more I see the point of plattform portatibility
And users do sometimes ask if we plan a WIndows or BeOS port of BibleTime,
some say that our interface is one of the best ones they've ever seen.
Sure, we have lots to do if we plan a port. But if we do it we should take
care of these points:
	-Portatibility to all plattforms Qt does run on (different unixes, Linux,
Windows, in future Mac and maybe in some time BeOS)
	-The structure should be so simple that porting is easy.

--Joachim

> Martin

--Joachim