[bt-devel] Threads / New idea for versformatting

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 01:42:48 +0000

Hi!

> Hi,
>
> On Mit, 30 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > First: Martin how is the thread which was created by CModuleSearch
> > deleted? I do not see that it disappears (->2 BibleTime entries in top).
>
> It is deleted when it finishes the main thread function. The 2 in top must
> have to do with the posix threads implementation, but i am not sure.

Somehow the second thread is never deleted! Sometimes I even have three or
more!

> > 1.0 should be improved in speed and memory footprint.
>
> Very good idea. Just look at the memory footprint while performing several
> searches. It is staedily growing - needs to be changed.

I fixed some huge leaks (items of lists were just removed not deleted, please
speak up if you notice some strange behaviour). The required mem doesn't grow
after using multiple searches.
But it's no enough! We have to optimize more! 18MB in top are really much!

> > A idea I had today:
> >
> > How about introducing verse-formatting styles?
> > If we do it you can choose between some predefined styles, e.g.
> >
> > -Our traditional way (Line breaks, verse numbers)
> > -No versenumbers, no breaks etc.
> > -Some nice HTML formatting
> >
> > The verse-styles should be similair to the printing styles.
> >
> > I like the idea but I can't find the proper words to decsrib eit properly
> > in english! What do you think?
>
> Good Idea. What about user definable styles? Users yould configure the
> verse appearance using placeholders like %t for the verse text and %n for
> the number - just ideas.

Yes, good. But my idea was to hold it simple and easy to use. Don't know if
all Newbies can work with the placeholders etc.
What do you think?

No Martin, I hav not forgotten to send you some notes about the key-chooser
widget, but school is very time consuming. I'll try to send them this weekend.

--Joachim