[bt-devel] [Fwd: BorCon, Qt license]

Example user SuSE Linux 6.3 bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:58:19 -0500

License terms on W95 are looser than some current versions of M$W.
There should be no issue as long as the copy you obtain is a real M$Win
disk and not a copy.  Make sure that the serial number is provided with
the disk.  The install can not be finished without the serial number.
For W95 OSR2 the OEM disk was provided with a "Users Guide" that had the
license on the front cover.  The serial number was printed on the
license.

Some current versions of W98 are sold as "recovery disks" these are
licensed for only the computer they are purchased with.  And are further
restricted to only load onto specific configurations.  HP' disk for
example only loads onto the model that the disk was sold for.  It is
rumored that some hardware changes will break the recovery disk.

Also watch out for upgrade disks.  These only install if a previous
version of M$ windows is already installed.  For example the W95 upgrade
will not install with out M$W 3.1 present.  If you loose your M$W 3.1
disks the upgrade can not be reinstalled.