[bt-devel] ~/.sword

Troy A. Griffitts bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:49:13 -0700

Hey guys,
	Has anyone been sucessful trying out the ~/.sword/mods.d/personal.conf
configuration with bibletime yet?  I got it to work here with 0.23.

My plans:
	A while back we added methods to the SWModule interface to allow
creation of module files:

Actually it exists on the actual driver classes like rawverse:

/******************************************************************************
 * RawVerse::CreateModule     - Creates new module files
 *
 * ENT: path   - directory to store module files
 * RET: error status
 */

char RawVerse::CreateModule(char *path)

Ultimately I would like to abstract the multiple inheritance of these
classes out and create an SWDataSource interface that these will
implement.  Then instead of inheriting these classes, SWModule will have
an instance of an SWDataSource.  This will mean that we will no longer
have RawText and zText classes, but instead a Text class that is
constructed with the appropriate data source driver (rawtext compressed
text, etc.)

Anyway, back to the point.  I would like the SWModule interface to have
the above CreateModule call that will pass the call to its datasource
asking for the creation of a new, empty storage repository of a module
of this type.

This will allow you to create user commentaries instead of downloading
and installing a clean fileset in the personal module that we now have.

This will also allow for, in the future, tools for user developed
modules and tools for converting from module type to module type (raw to
compressed, or vica versa).

Just wanted to give you a heads up.  You have some decision that you may
need to make regarding the UI.

Some questions you might want to ask:

Should bibletime popup an editor for ANY module that is writable?
Should bibletime have a single user notes modules?
Should bibletime not attempt to provide module creation functionality,
leaving this to other separate tools?
If bibletime allows for multiple user notes, should it also allow Bibles
and dictionaries to be edited?

Any thoughts to me now would be a great time before we dig in and start
these changes.