[bt-devel] beta1 is released now

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:40:27 +0000

Hi!

[snip]

> > I put some work in the searchdialog before beta1. Do you noticed it?
>
> Sure! You redid the search analysis!

And I tweaked a little bit the layout of the first page ;-)

> > > My suggestion: have strongnumbers behave as hyperlinks into their
> > > dictionary We need to speed bt up! Not only a sword matter...
> >
> > Which parts?
> > I think speed is important!
>
> Well, I'm not quite sure. I have a 200 MHz K6 with a pretty slow 2.5 GB
> Harddrive. But maybe that is representative for many users.

> When I open the HebrewStrongs lexicon, it takes a short time of disk
> activity and another time of waiting. Is that because the data is being
> processed within sword? What makes me more nervous: just opening a simple
> entry of the lexicon takes a good while. Just like a turtle ;-). That
> cannot be normal since there is no disk activity.

Hehe, this is the slowest part of BibleTime.  Opening a lexicon starts this
process:
	o Open presenter
	o The presenters reads in _all_ entries of the module (slow)
	o The presenters inserts all entries in the combo box (slow)
	o All entries are inserted for auto completion (not really slow, but not
	very fast)
	o Open the first entry

I'm not sure why it takes some time until the text of the chosen entry is
displayed, but let's see.
I think this is a point worth of optimizing.

> I tried to use gprof without success. (I added -pg, but still gprof said
> gmon.out is missing. - I have never used such a thing before)
> Maybe our analyst programmer can help us? That would be great.
> I saw that the data coming from sword is sent through at least one filter
> in bt to create the html, which is slow but necessary.

I got it wroking some months ago.
I'm not sure but i think yoou have to run "gprof bibletime", the file
gmon.out will be created in current directory. But I'm not sure.

> Another thing: could we use threads within bt? that would enable users to
> do something while bt is searching or "preparing displaying". But maybe it
> is too complicated? btw, is sword thread safe?

I've never used threads, but it's worth it!
I'm not sure if SWORD is thread-safe, but QT isn't.
But it's possible if you put the GUI thread (QT and KDE) in one thread and
let searching and the like being processed in the oter thread. This will be
only possible if SWORD is thread-safe.
But these are only ideas, not facts.

> just ideas...
>
> Martin