[bt-devel] beta1 is released now

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:57:46 +0000

Am Don, 29 Jun 2000 schrieben Sie:

> > On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > good work. Hopefully we will have lots of user feedback.
> > Joachim, Is dnd ok now? If so, what should I start to work on now?
>
> Your work on d'n'd is great!  Thanks!!!!!
>
> > Somebody on the sword list said that logos is much better than sword.
> > Can anyone report about it and even provide some screenshots?
> > We should collect lots of different screenshots of different programs on
> > a secret place on bibletime.de and compare and learn from others.
> > Joachim, you said you have some?
> >
> > If bibletime shall be the _best_ available tool (which is a very high
> > aim), it requires a LOT of work and especially early design and layout
> > and interface discussion and development. It is easier to change
> > something now than later.
>
> BT's user interface is the best I've ever used in a Bible program.
>
> > Do y'all agree?
> > (If we would continue development just the way that I personally am
> > developing, bt would move towards a dead end.)
>
> Probably the best Bible software in the universe is Hermenutica from Bible
> Works.  To go along with the advanced features, it also costs upward of
> $500! It's strength is the Greek and Hebrew parsing features.  It has
> "morphological" functions relating to this, which I don't completely
> understand.
>
> For this stage in development, Bibletime/Sword is very good, far more
> useable than the shareware/freeware Bible study programs for Win such as
> Online Bible and SwordSearcher.  There are a couple more fairly complex
> features I would like to see implemented, and there is also the issue of

Which features??

> search speed. Compared even to OLB BT/Sword is a turtle.  This is really a
> matter of convenience, but search speed has become somewhat of a standard
> benchmark by which Bible software is judged.

hehe, we now searching is slow. But some time ago there was Trevor Jenkins,
who wanted to implement an ultra fast searching algorithm. But some weeks
later he was ill an is still suffering from his illness ;-(
But if we find another coder or if Trevor is healthy again we can get very
fast searching (with indexing databases etc.) !

> Though this is "anathema" to some Linux people, releasing a Windows port of
> Bibletime is the best way to attract new users and developers.  Honestly,
> the Sword interface for Win32 that exists now is rather bad.  I realize it
> is a hack just to get it onto the Win32 platform, but if it would be
> possible, BT for Windows would be great.

hehe again ;-)
If you find some coders who want to prt KDE/QT/BibleTime to Windows, why not
;-)

> BTW, I'm including a text-only handbook.  It is not thorough, but covers
> most of the basics and some of the advanced features.  It still needs to be
> converted to DocBook format.  Anybody know how????

I'd suggest to use SGML (like in 0.2x), AFAIK there's a filter to convert
SGML to DocBook.

> God bless,
> Jeff

--Joachim