[bt-devel] Speech synthesis

Keith James Robertson bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:24:09 -0400

> Plus, after thinking about it, I don't know how many blind people would use
> KDE.  If I were in that position I would stick to the command line for ease
> of use.  I am not sure, but I suspect that a GUI is very hard for someone
> that really needs speech synthesis because of vision.  Although it could be
> useful for children, and others who can't read.

Or people who just like to listen to the Bible read rather than read it on a
screen.  At certain times, I certainly fall into this category.

I've been really quiet on this list as I'm just finishing my final year of
school.  However, I will be done soon.  Leave this as a plug-in option, I think it
would be a great idea.  Such a good idea that if nobody beats me to it I will do
it myself once I've got these courses out of the way.

It _should_ be able to be implemented as both a GUI and command line option
relatively easily.

That said, I haven't submitted any code for this particular idea.  Until I do,
ignore me... <grin>

Thanks for the 5 minute diversion from electromagnetic waves,

Keith