re [bt-devel] Next steps...1.0

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:04:47 +0000

Hi Jeff!

Am Don, 27 Jul 2000 schrieben Sie:
> Plugin support:
> I would think that would be more useful to display maps, books, than things
> like games.  For the life of me, I can't imagine several crumb-crunchers in
> a church classroom gathered around a CRT playing Bible-crossword! ;-)

If you want to have maps please ask on the SWORD list. They create modulesm
we create the frontend to display them (e map-presenter would be right ;-)
If you want to have books ask for GBS (== General Book Support).

> KPart support:
> IMHO, this is a good idea, to a certain extent.  I could forsee using a
> "stripped-down" version of KWord to do all text-processing in BT.  This
> would include Personal Commentary, sermons, etc.  If it is possible to
> scale down KWord, it wouldn't need the advanced formatting features.  Just
> the basic paragraph, font, and maybe frame and column formatting.  This
> would make a really light-weight, very fast text processor.  Maybe
> somebody's already done this.

A stripped down version of KWord? This would be so much work that we need
some more coders ;-)
AFAIK Qt 3 will contain such a WYSIWYG edit widget, but Qt3 is far away  :-(
Does somebody know such a thhings which does already exist ?

> A sermon backend:
> See above for initial ideas.  In addition, I think every preacher formats
> his sermons differently. :-)  I use two columns, landscape page
> orientation, on standard 8 1/2" x 11" paper.  I also use the standard *B*
> /I/ _U_, and some special characters.  For Bible study classes I use frames
> in addition to the above.
>
> I would recommend this as a KPart component, and integrated as a window
> (presenter) in the MDI window.  I'm not sure how else to integrate it in a
> way that would be consistent with BT design.  Maybe KWord's toolbar could
> float, or dock into the main toolbar of BT.
>
> I don't think embeddable links within a sermon would do me that much good,
> unless I take my PC up to preach!  ;-)
>
> Jeff
>
> | http://jhoyt.faithweb.com |
>
>    Don't be conservative.