[bt-devel] Printing

Chris Marsh bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:49:20 +1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Joachim Ansorg [mailto:jockel123@gmx.de]
Sent: Friday, 28 July 2000 0:59
To: bt-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: [bt-devel] Printing

As I said before the next major thing should be printing. It looks like I
have to do it (no other volunteers ;-(

I'm getting an external modem that I'll be able to use under Linux this
weekend, hopefully, so might be able to contribute soon.

Main things:
---------
-We should use an own printing dialog which supports our special features

Isn't it possible to use the standard QT/KDE one and change it
programmatically?  I think I'd rather see consistancy accross all 'windows'
and dialogs.

-We should print as PostScript using Qt's printing classes
We should support normal actions like "Printo to file", "Select printer",
"Select paper size", "Orientation of paper" , "Number of copies", "Range of
pages to print", "border etc." etc. We could/should use the code of the Qt
lib to implement the basic things already in the Qt's own printing dialog.

-Formatting styles
Chris had this very good idea! Formatting rules are good, loading and saving

Thanks

them to disk too.
	o Use of colours
	o Use of different fonts, their size and text styles (bold, italic,

	underlined etc.) for the text of the heading, body and footers.
	o Ability to select how Strong numbers are handled (style, size,
colour of
	strongnumbers)
	o Ability to select how footnotes are handled (style, size, colour
of
	footnotes)
	o Chris suggested images. Chris how / where should images be used in
	printing?

I think I was looking at the inclusion of clipart, maps etc.  Would be
particularly useful when sermon notes is developed and for Sunday School etc
preparation.

	o Ability to select if you want to have the text verse-by-verse or
 	"floating" text
	o Ability to select different styles of headings and footers (like
in 0.2)

-Preview mode
	In the preview mode some PS viewer should be opened (like in 0.2x)
Excellent Idea!

-your suggestions
I believe the sermon preparation should be designed and implemented, at
least at a basic level, prior to shipping version 1.0.

Please comment on this! Printing is a major part of BibleTime! We need your

suggestions NOW to implement the features _you _ like.

Thanks!
--Joachim

Pleasure.
Chris Marsh