[bt-devel] Environment setup

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:02:58 +0000

Hi!
For my opinions see below:

> It would be helpful for me if someone would provide a step by step guide in
> setting up the development environment for development of BibleTime 0.3
>
> I will present what I plan to do, please fill in the details and make
> corrections.
>
> I will be creating a special account for development that will use .bashrc
> to customize environment variables so that the Beta software has minimal
> impact on my everyday environment.
>
> I will be downloading KDK 1.0 and installing it.

Yes, you could do this.

> I will be downloding the latest snapshot of Qt and installing it.  The
> development environment will point to this version with the QTDIR
> environmental variable.

I would suggest to use CVSUP to get QT and KDE snapshots
This is my CVSUP file. Get CVSUP and call "cvsup <thisfile>" to get the newest
QT and KDE snapshots. This is much more fast than getting the QT and KDE
snapshots veery week / month ...

You could uncomment things like hosts or uncomment modules you want to get.
I uncommented the modules you need (kdelibs, qt-copy, kdoc and kde-common).
IMO it's not possible to use KRASH with BibleTim because some things chnaged
after KRASH.

-----BEGIN of CVSUP file-----------------
 *default host=cvsup.kde.org
# *default host=ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk
# *default host=max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
 *default base=/cvs/kde2
 *default prefix=/cvs/kde2
 *default release=cvs
 *default compress
 *default tag=.
 *default use-rel-suffix
 *default delete
 qt-copy
 kdelibs
 kdoc
 kde-common
# kdebase
# kdesupport
# koffice
# kdesdk
# kdegames
# kdenetwork
# kdesupport
# kdeutils
# kdemultimedia
# kdenonbeta
# korganizer
-----END of file---------

> Would it be beneficial to download the Qt snapshot from the KDE site
> instead?

The cvsup module qt-copy should compile  and work everytime with KDE 2.
The snapshots from QT don't work at the moment.

> I will be downloading kdelibs 1.89 and installing it.  The development
> environment will point to this version with the KDEDIR environment
> variable.

Get the cvsup modules.
IMO it's not good to have a environment with KDEDIR set to KDE directory in
.bashrc because programs like KDevelop (every KDE 1.x)  application needs
KDEDIR set to the KDE 1.x directory. See below how to solve this.

> Is running configure, make and make install with the KDEDIR set to the
>target location the proper way to install a second KDE environment?

export QTDIR=<your QT2 directory (same as source directory)>
export KDEDIR=<your KDE2 directory> #my is /usr/local/kde2
cd <kde2 source directory>/kdelibs
./configure --prefix=$KDEDIR #you need prefix to work properly with KDevelop
make
make install

> Is there anything that needs to be done to Kdevelop to prepare it to use
> these new libraries, or are the environment variables enough?

Open a xterm and set the right $KDEDIR and $QTDIR environment variables and run
configure of bibletime 0.3.
Now you could start KDevelop everytime without settimg the KDEDIR and QTDIR
environment variables until next "make distclean".
Run configure of bibletime 0.3 with option --prefix=$KDEDIR

> Anything else I should look out for?

I think not.

My environment:
home directory with KDEDIR in .bashrc  set to KDE 1.1 directory
I'm using KDevelop with the "xterm method".

Please ask if something doesn't work.

> --
>    Darwin Gregory
>
>    Creation is more scientifically valid than evolution!

-- Joachim
BibleTime - the bible study program for KDE
http://www.bibletime.de/
info@bibletime.de