[bt-devel] current CVS doesn't build

Thomas Philpot bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:02:41 -0600

>This is a concern for me as well  As I am getting close to the point where
>I will be doing some work on the Install Manager, and being new to
>BibleTime, Sword, C++, QT, and KDE Libs I am feeling like it would be
>almost impossible for me to do any significant work.

Ditto...

I'd love to help out, but I can't even seem to get the kde CVS to build.  I've
been trying for 2 days with CVSup, but kdebase won't build.  Anybody else
having trouble with konq_factory.cc in kdebase?

>My first thought for any error will be that I have made a mistake, and I
>will probably spend hours looking.  This is probably not bad, as it will
>force me to clearly understand what I am doing.  But then I will have to
>try to determine in which of the snapshots I am getting a particular error.
>
>My development experience to this point has been code based on stable
>libraries.  What sort of activities would lead to the best approach in an
>environment where we are using 3 different beta libraries?  (QT, KDE and
>Sword)  Can someone suggest an approach where I can easily determine where
>an error might be, and the best approach to solving the problem?

In my (limited) experience, it's best to start with your own code as the
potential source of problems.  If you think it might be in someone else's code
and you're using beta code, try to see when the code was revised last.  I.e.,
check the code and CVS for updates. If there has been an update, see what was
changed.  It may be that the part that is giving you trouble has been unchanged
for weeks.  From there, you're own your own.  Unfortunately, I can't give you a
simpler answer than "Look at the Code."  Unless of course there is someone else
near by who can look at the code with you. :P "Given enough pairs of eyes, all
bugs are shallow"  -Linus

This should of course be taken with a grain of salt, since, as i mentioned
before, I can't get the CVS of kdebase to build for me and I have no clue where
the problem lies.

> >Thsnks for any guidance. > >-- >   Darwin Gregory > >   Creation is
more scientifically valid than evolution!