[bt-devel] UI suggestion

Thomas J. Philpot bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:12:49 -0600

Joachim,

	Just wondering... why do we have a 2 combo boxes, followed by a
lineedit in the bible presenters?  Similarly, for the lexicon presenters... It
seems we could change the combo boxes to be editable, and add a third for
current verse.  Then, a user could type in the book they wanted, or choose it
from a drop down list.  The KComboBox has auto completion built in, so that
could be a quite useful feature.  Of course, instead of being able to type in
the book chapter and verse on one line, we would have to select 3 different
boxes.  That could be a pain.  But what if we added a "Go to Verse" button (or
menu option) that provided a dialog box, kind of like the "Go to Line" box in in
Kedit.  You could use the Crtl-G shortcut and have a simple dialog box with one
line edit that allowed the user to type in a specific passage to go to.

I just think that having 2 combo boxes plus a line edit unnecessarily clutters
the toolbar.  Reducing the number of widgets could make it a little cleaner.

Also, could we update the titlebar of the child windows to display the current
passage.  Thus the title would be something like:
BBE (The Bible in Basic English) - Genesis 1:1

I think this is consistent with KDE styles (I might be wrong, I haven't done
any significant KDE programming), but I also think it would be nice.

Those are my two cents.

Tom

PS I played with this by setting the combo boxes to in createToolbar() to
editable (true).  The autocompletion needs a little work (a slot connection I
think, examples in KDE docs), but I think it could be done.