[bt-devel] Default Charset problem and misc help needed

Torsten Uhlmann bt-devel@crosswire.org
09 Feb 2000 08:42:16 +0100

    > BT 0.3 looks good for me when I run in KDE 2 snapshot, but in KDE
    > 1.x I get a real funky looking font (scaled).

    > The first line written to stderr when I start BT 0.3 is:

    >    charset file invalide or not found.  Defaulting to utf 8

I get the same on another system (at work). I don't really know why. I
difference I know is that I installed here the kde-i18n package with the
internationalized strings. But I get a reasonable font on that other system.

    > What do I need to do to get a reasonable font as the default?

You could try to call kcontrol for kde2 and set some properties, maybe a
font one is among them?

    > By the way, I now truly feel a part part of the BibleTime
    > development effort!

Wonderful. I appreciate having you on board!
BTW thanks for your yesterday mail. Yes I truly have a wonderful family!
Sometimes my son is driving me nuts but I guess thats part of becomming
mature, right :)

    > I added a KFontChooser object to the options dialog.  It doesn't
    > do anything yet, but soon I may actually have some functionality.

    > I added an i18n test string, but after thinking about it, the
    > default may already be handled by i18n...  How do I tell for sure
    > so that I can remove it if not needed.

I believe i18n is not handled by default. It was not in KDE1 and I think
in KDE2PORTING (found in kdelibs) it says you have to use i18n(...) from
klocale.h to translate a string.

    > Also, I just started using KDevelop 1.1 beta 2, and for what I
    > have done, it seems to be working properly.  I decided to load it
    > and see if any of the online documentation started working.

    > So far, I have to be connected to the net to try to fumble throuht
    > the API...  How do I configure so that I can do otherwise.

./configure --enable-kdoc2 in kdevelop. Download kdoc2 (either via cvsup
or go to www.kde.org- developers pages- Sirtaj Sing Kang- download it
from his site). You then can tell kdevelop via settings to generate new
kdelibs docu. You need to point to the new sources and where to install
it (probably in your local .kde) Then you have to regenerate the search
database (kdevelop uses glimpse on my system). Then it should work. I
successfully use kdelibs2 and qt2 docu with kdevelop.

    > Also, my local post office was out of International Priority Mail
    > Envelopes, I will be checking the post office by work tomorrow.

San Francisco, right :) That sounds so common to me (I'm from East
Germany).
There was a joke in the old days:
There is a banana machine down the street, you put a banana in and out
you get two marks :)

There where always things that were just out (for the next few weeks).
Anyway don't think I'm complaining, we had a wonderful childhood. It was
just much different from now. And I never wanna go back. In old GDR I
would not have been allowed to study (bacause I'm christian). Just
before I finished last year in secondary extended school (12th class)
that great turn came and God did such a miracle, well and suddenly I was
very welcomed at the university (I had to decide between 3 of them :)

Praise be to our God!

--

best regards,
Torsten Uhlmann