[bt-devel] bibletime 2.4

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:32:33 +0000

>> Hi!
>>
>> >After trying to compile bibletime 0.24 this is what happened.
>> >bibletime 0.24 is missing the bibletime.kdelink
>>
>> Yes, I noticed that the file is included in the tar.gz but no in the RPM !
>> Could you use te CVS of bibletime 0.2x ? This will include the changes t install the kdelnk file.
>>
>> I forgot to say that you must compile against the current CVS because we use the localisiation which is a new feature of 1.5 CVS!
>> I didi this with my RPMS, too.
>>
>> The trick compiling against a statically linked SWORD is to move the libsword.so file in <sword directory>/lib and perhaps the link to it
>> to something like lisword.so.old and after
>> this run configure of BibleTime!
>> After compiling BibleTime you can move libsword.so.old to libsword.so.
>

>I'm not sure exactly what you mean could explain a little more please on
>getting it to compile statically.

Yes, I'll try to explain it in a better way. My poor english ;-)

To link BibleTime statically against SWORD you have to move the shared library of SWORD to an non-library name so the configure
script can't find the shared library (it will only find the static library of SWORD).

The static and shared library are both in <SWORD directory>/lib/
BibleTime looks first for the shared SWORD lib , if it's not found it looks for the static SWORD library. If the static lib is found
the static lib will be used ;-)

>Do you mean that I should compile sword statically linked also? And I

The statically linked SWORD is produced automatically! It's called libsword.a, the shared one is called libsword.so.

>thought the reason for compiling a program statically is so that it will
>run on any system. In this case should not the sword libs be compiled in
>or something? If I rename libsword.so to libsword.so.old It makes it so
>that Bibletime config does not see it? Is this correct?

Yes, it is correct. The configure script should only find the static library of SWORD.