[bd-users] Fonts in the OS X version

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Oct 6 05:19:57 MST 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 12:44 AM, John Bell wrote:

> I've noticed a little oddity when using the OS X version of Bible
> Desktop. Whenever I launch, the fonts are nice and smooth OS X
> versions of the font I've selected, but once I do anything, the
> fonts become unsmoothed. I have font smoothing selected in the
> preferences.
>
> There will be selected words and phrases that are still smooth, with
> no seeming rhyme or reason. This sometimes does and does not apply
> to the books section on the right.
>
> Any idea what's up with this?
>
> Thanks,
> John

John,
I'm not seeing that now but I had seen it before.

Which version of OSX are you running? And what is your default version
of Java? You can get the default version at Applications -> Utilities -
 > Java Preferences. If should be the latest and greatest, highest
numbered. If you are running Tiger, it should be Java 5 (aka Java
1.5). On Leopard, it should be Java 6 if you have a Core 2 Duo,
otherwise it should be Java 5. On Snow Leopard, you can use either the
64 bit or the 32 bit. I'm using the 64-bit. If you are running
Panther, you don't have a lot of choice (use Java 1.4.x) and it will
not look as good as under more recent OSX.

On the Mac in general you can change the settings for Font smoothing
at System Preferences -> Appearance (I think this location is the same
on all OSX from Panther onward). There is a checkbox for LCD font
smoothing and a minimum size. Remember your settings, but try playing
with it to see if it helps.

In BibleDesktop there are a couple of things to try. In Preferences ->
Bible Display try the Font Smoothing settings. Try both ways and see
if it makes any differences. This is a "hint" and it may not make a
difference.

The other thing you can do is change the font for display. There are
several types of fonts and each font comes in several native sizes. If
a size is chosen that is not the native, OSX will scale it and
sometimes the results are not pretty. You can try a different font and/
or a different font size.
This is done in several locations.
Preferences -> Bible Display -> Select Font
	This affects the display of the display of Bibles, Commentaries and
Dictionaries.

Preferences -> Application -> General Font
	This affects the display of the entire application. Setting it to
Dialog/12, the default will restore the application to it's original
state. I don't suggest changing this setting. It is there for the
Persian translation of Bible Desktop as the default font is unreadable
and too small.

You can also set the font on a per book or per language basis. (This
is not documented in the manual) This is especially useful for non-
European scripts such as Hebrew and Greek.
	Tools -> Books -> Installed Books
	Select a book or a language and click on Font.

Hopefully one of these will help. Let me know.

In Him,
	DM