[bd-users] NET bible anomalies: Matt 28:20

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 25 13:50:04 MST 2009

I just stumbled upon this. I have the NET (premium) Bible running on BibleDesktop. Matthew 28:20 reads:

20teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember,tn The Greek word ἰδού (idou) has been translated here as "remember" (BDAG 468 s.v. 1.c). I am with yousn I am with you. Matthew's Gospel begins with the prophecy that the Savior's name would be "Emmanuel, that is, 'God with us,'" (1:23, in which the author has linked Isa 7:14 and 8:8, 10 together) and it ends with Jesus' promise to be with his disciples forever. The Gospel of Matthew thus forms an inclusio about Jesus in his relationship to his people that suggests his deity. always, to the end of the age."tc Most mss (Ac Θ Ë13 Ï it sy) have ἀμήν (amhn, "amen") at the end of v. 20. Such a conclusion is routinely added by scribes to NT books because a few of these books originally had such an ending (cf. Rom 16:27; Gal 6:18; Jude 25). A majority of Greek witnesses have the concluding ἀμήν in every NT book except Acts, James, and 3 John (and even in these books,
 ἀμήν is found in some witnesses). It is thus a predictable variant. Further, no good reason exists for the omission of the particle in significant and early witnesses such as א A* B D W Ë1 33 al lat sa.
======

 "What did you do?" the man holding the flashlight asked.

 "I put down a spider," he said, wondering why the man didn't see; in the beam of yellow light the spider bloated up larger than life. "So it could get away."