[bd-users] sdfd

Brent Coffey bcoffe at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:06:19 MST 2008

Hmmm...that may be a really easy way to start...this.

Spiral 1
Add a right click drop down menu option.  So that when you right click on a word in a text you get an option to "look up in Wikipedia"  (Kind of like how Mac OS X Leopard already works)...

All the option does is go out to Wikipedia, using a web browser, and go straight to the page on Wikipedia which covers the topic of the highlighted word (say Bethlehem)  from there you can click on the geo tag on wikipedia to see the map...

I wonder if there is a christian Wikipedia that only covers Biblical and/or Ecclesiastical type topics?  If there was then this may be a better place to go so as to not confuse Bethlehem in the middle east with Bethlehem Georgia or some place.

Spiral 2

All the above plus the another option to "Map location." In which case it just goes out to wikipedia grabs the geotag LAT and LONG, if available, and opens up a java window, using Worldwind or something, that "flies" you to the location based on the LAT and LONG taken from wikipedia?

Spiral 3

All the above but the verse is actually geotagged itself and can actually plot locations as well as paths between points in the verse...

??? Any more thoughts....Spiral 3 obviously being the goal but much more difficult....it does seem that I agree with the JSword roadmap in that more dynamic GUI is going to indeed be needed before Spiral 3.  But I'm guessing Spiral 1 may not be too tough....????

Peter wrote:

A lot of wikipedia is geo-location tagged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlehem I suppose it could be scripted to extract this data and create in first instance a geographic "dictionary". Inserting those tags into biblical texts etc is the next step - and could again be scripted. Peter