[bd-users] New Idea...I think...

Brent Coffey bcoffe at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:42:26 MST 2008

All,

I am thinking about developing what I think is a new idea in bible software, maybe it's not, but I think it could be helpful.  It maybe really difficult or it could be simple, don't know yet and want some feedback.  I want a piece of bible software that doesn't just have an old static map image of a general area. BUT....

I want a dynamic mapping module (think google earth) which automatically keeps up with the verse you have in focus and automatically "flies" to the primary location of the verse and then charts out a path dynamically based on the verses, or words you have in focus, highlighted etc..  So For example say you are reading

Genesis 10:31

"Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Haran, they settled there."

Just by the fact that you are on this verse your google map "view" would read some type of "meta-data" that some one has associated with the verse and then your bible application would fly to the primary location of the verse, in this case "Ur" and then create a paths between Ur and Haran and Haran to Canaan.  Since this verse is about "journeying" between these locations.  In this way you can see Visually EXACTLY the places the verse is talking about and the terrain associated with them.  You could then use the google earth feature which "flies" you slowly down across your defined path to see perciously the terrain along the same path that Abraham took in this verse.  "Granted it would be the modern day version of the area" but still better than just "imagining."

Any thoughts?

Very Newbie to Jsword...