[bd-users] Congrats, Consternation, Et Cetera about Mac Version of BD (1.0.7)

dewayne.mary dewayne.mary at futura.net
Tue Jan 8 18:20:27 MST 2008

Greetings from Arkansas!

Congrats to the BibleDesktop team for a very promising program.
There's a lot to like here: it's freeware; there's a Mac version; the
combined interface with modules in panes within a window (instead of
each in a separate window like MacSword, which can get cluttered if
you use multiple mods at a time, as I tend to do); the really helpful
feature of downloading mods directly into the program and automatic
installation—a big time saver; the Bible atlas mod that, last I
checked, is still not available for MacSword): great maps, too! (I do
like MacSword, also.)

Consternation came when, after installing the WLC and Aleppo Hebrew
Bibles and Ezra SIL font, no Hebrew showed up when using the modules!
Just little squares instead of text. It's weird too, because my font
manager (Linotype FontExplorer X, ver. 1.2.1) reported no problems,
and recognized the font. The font also showed up correctly in Word
for Mac, NeoOffice, and TextEdit when the Hebrew keyboard was
selected. Hope you can help me get the Hebrew going for these mods.
Good thing I still am using MacSword while checking out BibleDesktop.
WLC works fine there, although that version uses the rather ugly
modern Hebrew font, apparently in Times New Roman family. I much
prefer the classic look of Ezra and similar fonts, and frankly, such
are easier to read.

Also, the LXX doesn't display its morphology links even when I check
that in the menu. I would like to use those if at all possible.

My system info, in case it's needed: using BD 1.0.7 on Mac OS X, ver.
10.4.9, on eMac desktop system, 700 MHz PPC G4 processor, 768 SDRAM
memory, 143 GB hard drive, 99 GB available.

BD is a great product, which will be even greater if I can get better
use of the above Hebrew and Greek mods. Also, a request: can we get a
customizable toolbar like in MacSword? Would like to add a text
resize button, etc.

Hope some of you folks can help me out...BTW, hope you won't mind if
I mention my Bible blog, Dewayne's Devarim, at  http://my.opera.com/
Loquor/blog. I welcome visitors and comments,questions, etc. Am
working on a new article that hope to post later this week.

Shalom,
Dewayne Dulaney

"...with God all things are possible."—Matthew 19:26

"...para Dios todo es posible."—Mateo 19:26