[bd-users] How Do I execute Jsword in Linux Environment / Java Environment

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 16:17:36 MST 2007

Here's how I do it:

(note: I run it on FreeBSD - but the method should be
the same. My window manager is Blackbox; which does
not have icons.)

Get the binary distribution (either the windows zip or
the linux tar.gz).

extract it and navigate to the files in an xterm (or
similar). Test your system by running:

$ sh BibleDesktop.sh

If it runs; then you are in business.

I put my directory in a public place:

/usr/local/bibledesktop-1.0.5

I become root and create an executable script in the
system path:

/usr/local/bin/jsword

Here's the content of the script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/bibledesktop-1.0.5
sh BibleDesktop.sh

Make it executable:
$ chmod a+x jsword

test it in an xterm by running

$ jsword

if it runs, you are in business. Create a desktop icon
or window manager menu item that runs the script.

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37