[bd-users] CD version of JSword

coby ingram coby at peru.com
Wed Sep 14 15:11:58 MST 2005

To all users and developers--

I am dreaming on a version of JSword that can truly "run anywhere".

Currently I must use an office computer that does not permit installation of private programs, as well as a public access computer at the local library with even more restrictions--for example, it has no CD drive available.  My children just returned from a youth mission to Brazil where they could only use Internet at a cafe, or by borrowing the host organization's office computer by special permission.  Then my home computer has Internet but no printer.

Teen missionaries, office workers, and Christians worldwide with limited computer access need Bible software that is as full-featured as possible, yet that runs on almost any computer with no impact on its secure resources.  This is, in my opinion, an urgent opportunity.

I am imagining a version of JSword that:

--is based on using Explorer/Netscape as the operating window (or something even simpler--for example, see the HTML commentary on Amos from NZ--I forgot the URL).

--Reconfigures the window temporarily to add menus and buttons, as well as multiple viewing windows, automatically

--Requires NO install, but can run from a CD or USB stick, just like the Autorun CD's you get bundled with a new computer

--Uses XML/OSIS to store Bible and book files in a format that can be read directly by any decent text editor or HTML interpreter

--Uses XML/OSIS to enable Search and reference linking functions (Strong's, commentaries, etc.) despite possible limitations of interface

--Where possible circumvents the tendency of Java to run complicated functions slowly (e.g. Search)

--When installed, is able to use advanced word processing features, as in Open Office.

--Is fully compatible with on-board word processing, so that verses can be pasted easily into documents, in fact, so the whole interchange is as seamless as possible

--is simple to use without being bare-bones, or, as feature-rich as e-Sword, but as clean-lined as JSword or in some ways like the new Office that Microsoft is launching.

--uses both buttons and expanding menus to access features and texts

--has menus and other frontend text in as many languages as it has Bibles

--is available as a freely copiable CD for a reasonable production cost

--Incorporates first and foremost as many foreign-language Bibles as possible

--Includes the major public domain dictionaries and commentaries in English

--Has, as well, any and all translations of key study texts, in at least one other language per CD (for example, a CD with Spanish Bible, menus, and reference/devotional texts)

--Can be run in a form that leaves as little data on the computer history as possible, to minimize danger for Christians in uncertain circumstances

--may be modified by the user to assemble a package of Bibles and other works that are appropriate to a target user audience

--may even be run from a CDRW, to incorporate document/highlighting/commentary storage ability

--pipe dream:  run a GNU word processor off a CD--mobile tract design!

--Has the ability to include devotional and reference works in XML that may or may not currently be in the Sword module library (for example, books by the leader of a missions organization that hands the CD's out to its teen missionaries)

That's a long laundry list, I know, and extremely disorganized, but the implementation is looking fairly simple to me.  I'm just not a developer, unfortunately.

There are 2 ways to go on this.  One is using the JSword resources to develop a technical package that will run a suite of features anywhere.  The other is basing everything on HTML texts, and finding a way to adapt existing display platforms simply to what we want to do.  I tend to prefer the second way, but can't do it myself without more education.

JSword is the closest thing I've found yet to my dream of a FreeLight Bible Run CD, since it has the goal of being able to implement through applets (servlets?), and is an interface that is close to what I'm looking for.

Feedback would be appreciated, especially on how I myself could do most of the work to get this thing running.  I don't program, but I know what it entails, and I'm the one at the office always trying to tweak MSWord to jump through hoops for me.

Anyone who would like to help move toward this goal, and I know the JSword developers have responded to my initial questions favorably, and have put most of them on the TODO list, could keep me posted if they have anything to report.

Thanks,

Coby

Thanks,

Coby