[bd-users] Add Commentary

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 20:00:18 MST 2005

Jason,
    On the Tools Menu choose Books. This will bring up a dialog with two
tabs. Choose the "Download from Crosswire" tab. (It should be the
selected tab!) You will see Bible, Commentary and Dictionary listed.
Under each you will find a variety of languages.  Commentaries in
English, Dutch and German are available. Select one of your choice and
then click Install. You don't have to wait before you start downloading
the next. (Currently in the nightly build there is a refresh problem
that keeps you from seeing the progress bar. So you won't know that it
is doing anything. But it is.) You can do the same for Bibles and
Dictionaries. For dictionaries, I recommend both StrongsGreek and
StrongsHebrew and if you are a student of Greek I also suggest Robinsons)
    When you close the window, you will find the commentaries and
dictionaries listed in the upper right hand list. The commentaries have
a "C" icon in front of them and the dictionaries have a "D". Readings is
a special dictionary which provides a daily reading plan.
    After our 1.0 release we plan to better integrate Commentaries and
Dictionaries into the program. Right now you have to manually look for
material in the commentaries by picking Book, Chapter and Verse. Many
commentaries don't have something for every verse entry. Some are
limited to the NT or to the OT.
    Strongs and Robinson have fairly tight integration into some Bibles.
On the View menu you can turn on Strong's Links and Word Morphology. If
a Bible has either then it will show links and when you click on them
they will pick the right dictionary and jump to that word.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

In His Service,
    DM