mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1786 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Male Logoslogin
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New User, Old version

I'm a newbie trying to run MacSword 1.3.5 in Panther on a G3 Wallstreet with 320 MB RAM. The app itself works great. I'm impressed. The layout is elegant and the interface is simple and intuitive.

The problem I'm having is with the Find command. A search launches the indexing process which is understandably slow on an older machine. But when the indexing completes, there are still no results. I've searched this Forum for mention of a similar problem but have found nothing, so I'm tending to think I must've done something wrong.

One of the seraches I did, for example, was for the word: water. I simply typed that word, set it to search the ISV (I also tried KJV and ESV), set the filter for "Gospels", let it index for about 10 minutes, then nothing.

I then deleted the index files, and prefs and tried again with no luck.

Am I doing something wrong?
[Nov 27, 2010 3:57:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: New User, Old version

Hi.

Have you tried without the "Gospels" filter?

Manfred
[Nov 28, 2010 12:23:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Logoslogin
Stranger

Thanks for the rapid reply, Manfred. No, I guess I hadn't tried that. A search for "water" in ISV took 8 mins and returned 84 results. It did not appear to be indexing, but the CPU was obviously struggling.

For kicks I tried again with a filter, and it didn't work. In fact, NO searches worked after that. I had to quit and relaunch the app to get the feature to work again.

What does this all tell you? Are the filters unusable? Is there any other way to expedite the searches?

Chuck
[Nov 28, 2010 12:47:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Yeah, there might be a problem with filters.
Problem is I don't have a Panther system anymore and we actually don't support anything below 1.4 any longer.
1.4.5 doesn't work on Panther I suspect?

Manfred
[Nov 28, 2010 1:33:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Logoslogin
Stranger

According to the downloads page, Tiger is required for 1.4.4 and up.

Still, if it's true that filters are an issue in Panther, I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of it, at least in the past. I realize it's an old, unsupported OS, but it had a heyday once. I assume earlier versions of MacSword did too.

Thank you for your help and prompt replies.

Chuck
[Nov 28, 2010 5:56:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Yeah, 1.4.x actually should require Tiger but I haven't tried it on Panther. Would maybe be worth a try.

There were actually many bugs in all 1.3.x versions.
You can try one of the 1.3 beta version or version 1.2.1 which should still work on Panther.
There had been many changes from 1.2.1 to 1.3 especially a technology change in indexing. 1.2.1 used Java Lucene for indexing whereas everything from 1.3 used Apple SearchKit.

Have a look here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/macsword/files/

Manfred
[Nov 29, 2010 12:16:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Yeah, 1.4.x actually should require Tiger but I haven't tried it on Panther. Would maybe be worth a try.

There were actually many bugs in all 1.3.x versions.
You can try one of the 1.3 beta version or version 1.2.1 which should still work on Panther.
There had been many changes from 1.2.1 to 1.3 especially a technology change in indexing. 1.2.1 used Java Lucene for indexing whereas everything from 1.3 used Apple SearchKit.

Have a look here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/macsword/files/

Manfred

Myself, I would recommend using 1.2.1. I tried 1.3, but ended up going back until 1.4 came out. If you can't use 1.4.x, try 1.2.1.

-Jon
[Nov 29, 2010 2:45:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Logoslogin
Stranger

Thanks guys!

I'm running 1.2.1 now and it works slick. Maybe when I'm feeling experimental again, I'll try 1.4. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying just importing and reading the texts.

Chuck
[Dec 5, 2010 4:21:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread