mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1644 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Male JonGl
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
couple items re: contextual menu and the url feature

I finally started trying to use MacSword 2 (from MS1) this past week. However, I have run into a couple of what are for me, major stumbling blocks. First of all, I love some of the new features in 2.x. The Personal commentary seems to actually be working now, and the notes section is a God-send. It is obvious that the devs are working on making a genuinely useful product, and I appreciate their hard work. However, these two stumbling blocks I've run across are making my hopes of transitioning to 2.x fade...

A couple things I can't seem to get working with MacSword 2 are the following:

1. Contextual menu for verse lookup only seems to work with Sword 1.

2. Also, it seems that the url for sword:// to open MacSword isn't working. I can't find any way to get them to point to MacSword 2, rather than MacSword 1. If I remove the 1.4 version, the links end up pointing nowhere.

These are two of the most important features to me, and ones that were big selling points when "converting" my friends to MacSword from the other (commercial) apps. They are part of what make MacSword unique, and at least the second feature is a central part of the Sword Project (IIRC, the apps on the other platforms use the "sword://" url, which makes the hotlink cross-platform).

Please tell me how to make them work. Actually, I can understand if the the Services menu item has been removed, thanks to Apple changing APIs once again, and I can live without it, but I honestly need the second one! I have tons of sermons in Nisus and DevonThink that have these links in them (and because of the url structure, I'm actually able to write the verse reference in Polish, and still have the link work regardless of language, something that doesn't work with the Services menu, and other methods). I really want to be able to use just one version of MacSword, but I hate to think that that version would be 1.4. So please, tell me I can do this, or, barring that, please make these a priority to add back in. Thanks.

Oh, and on a related note, in the Personal commentary module, I have not found a way to make hotlinks to scripture references, and worse, no way to hilite the reference, and open it in another window or tab! This makes it impossible to make cross-references, and is a major hindrance to making the personal commentary module useful. If this is actually possible, how do I get it to work? Otherwise, If I could add this as a feature request, please consider it.

-Jon
[Nov 27, 2010 6:31:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: couple items re: contextual menu and the url feature

Hi Jon.

As for the contextual menu item. Someone made Service scripts using Automator. If you search the MacSword threads here you'll find a thread about it. I believe there was a download link as well.

The support for "sword://" URL did not yet make it into MacSword2. Also because no one actually asked for it.
That's not a big issue and I'll look into it asap.

You can create cross refs in commentary. But you have to encode it using html like so:
<a href="sword://kjv/gen2:1">Gen 2:1</a>

There is a bug though. When you edit again the link is not interpreted as html tag and once you exit editing mode the link is gone.
I'll look into this as well.

Manfred
[Nov 27, 2010 7:08:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Hi Jon.

As for the contextual menu item. Someone made Service scripts using Automator. If you search the MacSword threads here you'll find a thread about it. I believe there was a download link as well.

The support for "sword://" URL did not yet make it into MacSword2. Also because no one actually asked for it.
That's not a big issue and I'll look into it asap.

You can create cross refs in commentary. But you have to encode it using html like so:
<a href="sword://kjv/gen2:1">Gen 2:1</a>

There is a bug though. When you edit again the link is not interpreted as html tag and once you exit editing mode the link is gone.
I'll look into this as well.

Manfred

Oh. weird bug. Thanks for considering me. I'm actually kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet. Maybe it seems intimidating at first... But once you start using it, it's a wonderful feature to have hot-links regardless of what app you are in, and that they are even retained if exported to html.

If you will be looking into the commentary, there's one more bug that you may not be aware of. It's kind of a doozie if it bites you. I wrote a nice, long note for a verse, and accidentally hit command-right arrow (to move the cursor to the end of the line), forgetting that in MacSword, that moves you to the next chapter. When I came back, my note was gone. :-( No fun. Worse, I was popping back and forth between tabs in a workspace, and even if I did a command-S save, my changes wouldn't actually be saved. My text would disappear. The only way to actually preserve my changes was to click on the "Edit" button to turn editing off. Only then could I navigate to another tab, come back, and see my note retained. Since hitting command-S should save those changes, I suspect a bug. (and sorry to bear such a flood of bad news--I hate to do this, but I also suspect that you want to know these things, so I force myself to write them)

-Jon
[Nov 28, 2010 6:48:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi Jon.

Thanks for your reports.
Seems no one really used personal commentary editing yet very frequently.

Anyhow. I've fixed the above things. Tab switching is now possible without loosing the changes.
CMD-S saves the text but the text cache still has the old text and you have to manually refresh using the refresh button.
The links now will continue to be links after repeated editings. And the sword:// URL scheme is supported by MacSword 2 now as well.
At the moment a new window will open for sword:// references from other applications. We can later add more settings to choose to open as tabs for example.

Will release an update later today.

Manfred
[Nov 28, 2010 10:07:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Wow! That was awesomely fast!!! Thanks!

As to people not using the personal commentary, my guess is that they tried it, got frustrated that it didn't work, and left it. I suspect that part of it is simply that people aren't all that familiar with how open source software works. I find I have to teach people how the Sword Project works, and often they still don't understand. I can't code, but I can _break_ software, so I try to use this "skill" to help improve the Sword Project when I can. ;-) I only hope my intentions are properly received and understood. :-)

And thanks again for the quick work!

-Jon
[Nov 28, 2010 1:00:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

I'm not sure. Many people are posting here and many reported issues of some sort.
I think that many probably do not use the feature or did live with the issues.

But as you said, as an open source project, we live from people contributing. No mater in which form.
For me as the main developer of MacSword I appreciate reports about issues and bugs.

Manfred
[Nov 28, 2010 2:13:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

For me as the main developer of MacSword I appreciate reports about issues and bugs.

And I, for one, appreciate your hard work in continuing the development on MacSword! You've done a fantastic job of turning a simple Bible reader into a fantastic front-line Bible study tool. Thanks so much!

-Jon
[Nov 29, 2010 3:20:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Once again, thanks for all the hard work on MacSword. I found a weird quirk, though, in the personal commentary module, with the references. I type out the url, and the display text, but the display text is in Polish, with Polish book titles, and numbering conventions. Oddly, however, if I ever go back to edit the module again, my Polish is gone, replaced with English titles and conventions. Let me try to illustrate it:

I type:
<a href="sword:/pl_bw/Luke 6:20-23?notip">Łk 6,20-23</a>

but when I close the editing, and go back later to edit, the code is changed to:
<a href="sword:/pl_bw/Luke 6:20-23?notip">Luke 6:20-23</a>

Of particular, note the change of the book name to English, and the colon instead of the comma between chapter and verses.

If I simply close the editing it will keep it, but the next time I go to edit the module, it's changed back to English! Is it even possible, though, to fix this? or is it a Sword thing?

As always, thanks in advance!

-Jon
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JonGl at Dec 9, 2010 4:37:01 AM]
[Dec 9, 2010 4:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

I'm not sure. SWORD only supports english references. comma between chapter and verses is not supported, at least not that I know of.
I'm not doing any modification of the link label so I guess SWORD does it.
One thing I find odd is the that you use only one slash in "sword:/". Protocol requires two slashes "//" after the double colon.

Manfred
[Dec 19, 2010 12:43:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

I'm not sure. SWORD only supports english references. comma between chapter and verses is not supported, at least not that I know of.
I'm not doing any modification of the link label so I guess SWORD does it.
One thing I find odd is the that you use only one slash in "sword:/". Protocol requires two slashes "//" after the double colon.

That single forward slash is probably a typo here, as I use the double // in my actual urls. Sorry for that confusion...

As to the comma in the label, it shouldn't matter, as it is just the label part. So you aren't doing anything to change the text from what I entered. OK. I'm impressed, actually, at what the Sword backend is doing here--although, in my case, it's not what I would prefer. ;-) At least now I know where the change is coming from. Thanks.

-Jon
[Dec 19, 2010 1:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread