mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1488 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Male jdhanley

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Can't edit in "Personal" commentary module

When I right click on Commentaries-->English-->Personal, "Edit" is greyed out and so I can't select it to add personal notes.

Any ideas why it is greyed out?

I am using Ubuntu Linux 10.10

Thanks!
[Nov 7, 2010 4:01:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male alvanx
Regular

Re: Can't edit in "Personal" commentary module

I can think of one thing. It may be that you don't have "write" access to the folder that the module is in.

SWORD modules are normally stored in the directory /home/[username]/.sword/ on Linux.

However, some distros prepackage not only SWORD, but a few common modules as well. If you install those from the Ubuntu repos, they will be installed somewhere that only root has permission to write to. If you installed the personal commentary module from your package repositories rather than from within BibleTime, that is probably why.
[Jan 9, 2011 8:33:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Female sancol52
Stranger

United States

Just encountered the same problem. Can anyone help?
[May 15, 2011 2:51:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jdhanley

I can't quite remember what I did to get this working, but try reinstalling the Personal commentary module.

Also, try installing it as a user rather than root.

I believe it does have something to do with permissions. If it is installed as root, the user may not have permissions.

You may also try reinstalling the entire program as user rather than root.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It was a while ago and I think I just stumbled upon the solution. But I am pretty sure it was a permissions thing.
[May 15, 2011 7:06:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male abishur

If you're like me and it has installed the personal commentary to /usr/share/sword/modules/comments/rawfiles/personal then the solution is to go into that directory and type in

"sudo chown <your_user_name> ./*"

Where you replace <your_user_name> with whatever name you log in as. Make sure you use put a period in front of the forward slash. A DOT FORWARD SLASH STAR means, everything in the current directory, but a FOWARD SLASH STAR means everything. It would only affect files in the root directory, but you still don't want to make that mistake ;-)

You could technically do a chmod on them to something like

"sudo chmod 775 ./*"

Again with a DOT FORWARD SLASH STAR, but I prefer the chown command. Once I did this I was able to edit the files no problem.

If you want to do a group commentary, then you would need to make a group and do a

"sudo chgrp <group_name> ./*"

and then make sure everyone you want to be able to edit the commentary is a member of that group you made
[Oct 9, 2013 9:36:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jdhanley

If you're in the directory isn't the dot forward slash ./ redundant?

can't you just use * with your chown?

Eg sudo chown *
[Oct 10, 2013 6:16:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jdhanley

Eg sudo chown *
[Oct 10, 2013 6:17:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male abishur

Eg sudo chown *

Absolutely. Even though they mean the exact same thing, I just can't bring myself to be that implicit with path declarations wink

Personally when I did it I actually typed

sudo chown <your_username> /usr/share/sword/modules/comments/rawfiles/personal/*

(obviously replacing <your_username> with your actual username ie sudo chown tom ...)

And of course this is working with the assumption that you're on an Linux distro that uses sudo and that your files are installed in the /usr/share/sword directory.

I just wrote an answer that I felt would be easier for people to use smile
[Oct 10, 2013 7:59:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread