mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5036 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Male mikeyguy
Stranger

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Contacting about NIV and NKJV amongst others...

I've read the FAQ so I know the situation with getting NIV, NKJV and other bible modules for MacSword.

What I'd like to know is if there is an email or phone number for the publishers responsible for these translations, which I can direct some well constructed messages to ask for reconsideration of allowing the sale of those modules for MacSword?

I would imagine that if enough people with convincing requests approach these publishers, they'll act on this opportunity...

As it stands, I'm currently using QuickVerse with the NKJV bible, and I'm contemplating purchasing the NIV bible for Quickverse too. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I like the MacSword interface much more than the QuickVerse interface, and I've been hoping that the NIV and NKJV bibles might become available for it soon.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mikeyguy at Oct 31, 2010 5:55:18 PM]
[Oct 31, 2010 5:53:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    moktoman [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male GordonKeehn
Stranger

USA
Re: Contacting about NIV and NKJV amongst others...

If eSword for Windows can offer NIV and NRSV modules, why can't MacSword.
[Oct 31, 2010 8:34:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    GordonKeehn    GordonK2 [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Please read our FAQ:
http://www.crosswire.org/index.jsp?section=FAQ

Manfred
[Nov 1, 2010 4:45:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mikeyguy
Stranger

USA

As I stated above, I've already read the FAQ.

That does not answer my question.
[Nov 1, 2010 3:14:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    moktoman [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

I believe it has something to do with certain publishers not willing to offer their translations to open source software. eSword is NOT open source, but is free. MacSword/CrossWire is open source & the only proper response I have heard from Zondervan (for eg) is that they don't work with open source software. If they were to change their stance on that, then I believe that things could progress. :)
But, please feel free to contact publishers on our behalf. I made up a list of publishers to contact in January (2010) but have been too busy with PocketSword and with other things in my life to have had the opportunity to contact them. :(
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Nov 1, 2010 4:21:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mikeyguy
Stranger

USA

I believe it has something to do with certain publishers not willing to offer their translations to open source software. eSword is NOT open source, but is free. MacSword/CrossWire is open source & the only proper response I have heard from Zondervan (for eg) is that they don't work with open source software. If they were to change their stance on that, then I believe that things could progress. :)
But, please feel free to contact publishers on our behalf. I made up a list of publishers to contact in January (2010) but have been too busy with PocketSword and with other things in my life to have had the opportunity to contact them. :(

Thanks for the response.
If you could provide me with that list, it would be much appreciated. ;)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mikeyguy at Nov 1, 2010 5:50:22 PM]
[Nov 1, 2010 5:50:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    moktoman [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jonmmorgan
Regular

Just FYI, the response from IBS to a request was:

Our policy at this time does not allow us to release the NIV database to individuals or for use in Linux based, open source or shareware software products; therefore IBS-STL will not be granting your request for use of the NIV.

The response to a request about the RSV/NRSV was:

We appreciate your interest in making the RSV/NRSV available as modules for the Sword Project. However, at this time, we do not authorize any open source uses of the RSV/NRSV. God's blessings on your ministry.

They were probably both a year or two ago, but I don't think it's likely to change much. I know several attempts to contact Thomas Nelson about the NKJV were met with no response as well.

As to the original question, e-Sword and the SWORD Project (including MacSword) are not related in any way (except presumably for the belief that the Sword of the Spirit is the word of God). I understand that the SWORD Project was first to use the name, but e-Sword is considerably more well-known and popular.

As e-Sword is not open source, the reasons given for rejecting the application for the Sword Project do not apply to it.
[Nov 1, 2010 11:49:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

Hi Mikeyguy,

Sorry, I've taken a look around for the file, but I can't find it atm. If I do manage to find it, I'll let you know. But it really depends on the translations you are interested in. Finding publisher details are rather easy, and one place to start would be looking at the publisher that biblegateway lists. simple google searches also work! There is often an online form you can fill in in order to correspond with them, or an email address, and either are good ways to try to make contact.

Open Source opinion can change, so we can pray that they learn that open source is a viable way of doing things -- the Android OS is pretty much all open source, and large portions of both the iPhone OS and Mac OS are also open source! Three of the most popular web browsers are also open source -- Firefox, Chrome & Safari. :)
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Nov 2, 2010 7:33:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread