mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1394 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Male garysims

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Question about licensing

Hi,

I have a question about the licensing of sword Bible modules.

As far as I can see there are 2 types of Bible module:

1) Public domain modules like the KJV
2) In copyright versions like the ESV

The in copyright versions like the ESV have information about how they can be used supplied with the modules.

But the license talks about things like quoting the ESV in a written, visual, or electronic form up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing that the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for 50 percent or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted.

So here is my confusion, if I use a Sword based Bible program like BibleTime or BibleDesktop then the whole bible is available. How does that conform to the license? I guess it must somehow as the ESV is available for download.

Second if I write a program using the Sword project say to display Bible verses on a wall during a church service, what are the license issues with modules like the ESV?

Third, if I write a program using Sword can I make a distributable version with an in copyright module included (bundled) with the installer or must the downloader/installer be used?

Fourth, what if I decide to sell a Bible program built around Sword with an in copyright Bible included. The GPL doesn't forbid the selling of software written under it (as long as the license is adhered to... i.e. source code available etc).

Lastly, what is the situation with taking an in copyright module from Sword and writing a program to convert it to another format, say for a DB (SQL, XML etc).

I know that this is a long list of question, but I have tried searching the FAQ and the forums and I can't find any answers to these questions.

Thanks for your time and patience,

Gary
----------------------------------------
Gary Sims
MyBibleBase.com
The Hungry Penguin
[Oct 13, 2010 6:42:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    garyinvulcan [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Re: Question about licensing

So here is my confusion, if I use a Sword based Bible program like BibleTime or BibleDesktop then the whole bible is available. How does that conform to the license? I guess it must somehow as the ESV is available for download
The license text included with the ESV is the license that downloaders must follow. CrossWire has a different license that gives us "express written permission" to distribute the ESV.
Second if I write a program using the Sword project say to display Bible verses on a wall during a church service, what are the license issues with modules like the ESV?
You and your users can download copyrighted versions like the ESV from CrossWire, and must follow their license restrictions, such as the one you quoted for the ESV.
Third, if I write a program using Sword can I make a distributable version with an in copyright module included (bundled) with the installer or must the downloader/installer be used?
No, not without express written permission from the copyright holder. You would need to use the installer.
Fourth, what if I decide to sell a Bible program built around Sword with an in copyright Bible included. The GPL doesn't forbid the selling of software written under it (as long as the license is adhered to... i.e. source code available etc).
You can sell the software, but you cannot sell or distribute copyrighted content without permission from the publisher. (There's also nothing stopping us from compiling your source code and making your software available for free.)
Lastly, what is the situation with taking an in copyright module from Sword and writing a program to convert it to another format, say for a DB (SQL, XML etc).
That would constitute copyright and license violation.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Osk at Oct 13, 2010 12:00:15 PM]
[Oct 13, 2010 11:57:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male garysims

Re: Question about licensing

Hi,

Thanks for your reply... much appreciated... I guess the key is that Crosswire has a separate distribution agreement with the copyright holders like the ESV people.

Thanks again,

Gary
Gary Sims
MyBibleBase.com
The Hungry Penguin
[Oct 18, 2010 11:31:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    garyinvulcan [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread