mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
Posts: 21   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4503 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Male karl
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: SWORD on MeeGo?

I would assume it just crashed. The initial box would pop up telling me that I have no Bibles and I suppose asking my permission to launch the mod.mgr. Well I would hit ok, and that box would close like I guess is expected and then the mod.mgr just never would open.

If you have time and inclination, I would be interested in seeing a crash trace. The only reason I know why that would fail would be due to a bugfix already taken care of, in the version of the sword library that you've already got. Pick up this file for instructions:
ftp://ftp.xiphos.org//ftp/pub/sword/debugging/xiphos-backtrace

I just have to try to get my 24 Bibles and 7 commentaries out of Esword and onto Xiphos because many aren't available on the Sword website. Or at least Gill and Calvin's Commentary.

Please be aware that e-sword modules are not at all compatible with Sword Project applications. The module file formats are unrelated.

As for Gill and Calvin, you can find Gill in the Xiphos repo and Calvin in the CrossWire Beta repo.

Do you have any suggestion on where I might find the sword directory to extract them too?

You're just dealing with minor cultural differences. In the same sense that Windows has e.g. c:\documents and settings\YourName, Linux has /home/YourName. (And Linux', actually UNIX', habit is far older than Windows'.) This is commonly abbreviated as the single tilde character (~) when referenced in typed commands. You should find a directory ".sword" (notice leading dot) in that directory, that is, /home/YourName/.sword, or just ~/.sword.
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 24, 2010 10:46:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

I'm not very familiar with MeeGo, but assuming it matches closely normal linux (which is my understanding), then the sword directory will be ~/.sword. That's /home/[user]/.sword. You may have to create this directory.

This is just a wild guess, but it is entirely possible that MeeGo programs do not allow top-level dialogs like the module manager would be. I do know there are some restrictions like that, at least if you want your program to be fully integrated.
[Sep 24, 2010 11:23:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Right, I know that they are not compatible but I read in the forums that some people were able to convert the file types? But thats of questionable legality...
Calvin and Gill are my go to guys so its good to hear that I can download both of them. Now just to figure out how to work it all.
Sorry I'm such a noob, but I don't know what to do with the link you posted. I'm very wiling to help out. The problem isn't time, its that MeeGo doesn't yet have peap support so most of the time I can't get online with my MeeGo partition.
Thanks so much for all your help!
[Sep 24, 2010 11:55:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

Right, I know that they are not compatible but I read in the forums that some people were able to convert the file types? But thats of questionable legality...

It's of questionable capability now. Since e-sword v9 came out, the database backend used is completely different, and the ability to convert content out of it is gone.

I don't know what to do with the link you posted.

Define "don't know what to do with." Click the link to get the text file with instructions for how to run Xiphos so that we can see how it dies. What don't you understand?

The problem isn't time, its that MeeGo doesn't yet have peap support so most of the time I can't get online with my MeeGo partition.

Well, perhaps we've just found a big part of the problem: What is "peap support" and why can't you be on the network using MeeGo?
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 26, 2010 5:06:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Ok sorry, I clicked the link and nothing happened. It says website not found.
Sorry, that was just me complaining about MeeGo/explaining why I'm not able to work on Xiphos not really saying about Xiphos itself. When ever I test anything with Xiphos I am connected to a network that does not require the peap security.
[Sep 26, 2010 11:25:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Try this link: http://ftp.xiphos.org/sword/debugging/xiphos-backtrace
[Sep 26, 2010 2:27:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Ah thank you, that one worked :-)
[Sep 27, 2010 6:25:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

I found that it was just that ~/.sword was a hidden directory. But I found it and extracted the .zip files in there. And it worked great! Thank you! :-)
I tried the back-trace thing and quite a large amount of information quickly flashed by and then Xiphos opened. I tried to paste the results into this box but I got an error in posting, I'll see what I can do.
Edit: I found on the crosswire website the download for the Calvin commentary but haven't been able to find the Gill in the Xiphos repo. I found a lot of the files for the gill but is not the zip file just a few files that I stuck in my commentary directory but I think Xiphos needs a corresponding .conf file to know what to do with them.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by notlofty at Sep 29, 2010 2:20:23 PM]
[Sep 29, 2010 12:23:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

haven't been able to find the Gill in the Xiphos repo. I found a lot of the files for the gill but is not the zip file just a few files that I stuck in my commentary directory but I think Xiphos needs a corresponding .conf file to know what to do with them.

No, the Xiphos module repo is set up exactly like every other Sword Project repo. No configuration is needed; mere presence of the right directories makes things work. A direct-access url for that module is either of these (equivalent place, different access method):

ftp://ftp.xiphos.org//ftp/pub/sword/zip/gill.zip
http://ftp.xiphos.org/sword/zip/gill.zip
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 30, 2010 5:50:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Sorry, I didn't find the zip file. I just noticed that after you extract a zip file into the sword directory you get a .conf file in the mod.d directory and then some other files in the modules directory. I found what looked to be the files that are supposed to be in the modules file but not the .conf. So thank you for the zip because this will work with no problems. :-)
[Sep 30, 2010 7:54:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 21   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread