mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4416 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Male notlofty
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SWORD on MeeGo?

My first serious venture into Linux is now trying out MeeGo. I was wondering if anyone has been able to install SWORD on this? I have tried to run Make and Configure as the super user but I always get a lot of errors. So I can't get the SWORD API installed to even try to install Xiphos.
MeeGo generally uses Fedora rpm's to install applications.
[Sep 17, 2010 12:24:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

Re: SWORD on MeeGo?

If it uses Fedora RPMs, can you just install the latest (F13) sword and xiphos *.rpm? Then you needn't trouble yourself with building anything.
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 17, 2010 12:36:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

I know people have compiled sword on Maemo which is a similar technology stack (and one of the predecessors of Meego). As Karl said, try the Fedora rpm's, but if you can't, please post specific errors here. I have an interest in knowing how this goes, as I'd love to see Xiphos running on Meego, so please report success as well.
[Sep 17, 2010 2:23:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Is it really that simple that I can install sword from an rpm? When I downloaded sword I had a folder of confusing files and then tried running make and configure while in that folder only to get some errors.
Can you guys link me the rpm for the sword or tell me where I can find it if I already have it having downloaded the folder sword-1.6.1.
When I try to install the xiphos rpm it says the error is i'm missing sword.lib or sword.so or something like that.
I can't recall the errors when trying the making and configuring of sword as there was a whole lot of what appeared to me to be gibberish flashing by in the terminal.
But its encouraging to know that it can be done.
[Sep 18, 2010 12:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/...hos-3.1.3-2.fc13.i686.rpm
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/...ord-1.6.1-2.fc13.i686.rpm

Substitute i686 with x86_64 if necessary.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 19, 2010 11:47:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

And BTW, yes, if you try to install the Xiphos RPM without the Sword RPM, you will get complaints about missing dependencies. Xiphos cannot run without the underlying Sword support.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 19, 2010 11:48:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Ok, well it works. Sort of. Using the RPM's they successfully installed.
But when I try to open it Xiphos tells me I have no Bibles installed and it must open the Module Manager. But the module manager never opens.
Is there an alternate way to get modules? Like direct downloads and drop them in a directory somewhere?
[Sep 23, 2010 8:10:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

But the module manager never opens.

That's most curious. There is no way that the code path can avoid opening the module manager in that circumstance. Precisely what happens after you are told the mod.mgr will open? Does the program crash? hang? spin the cpu?

Is there an alternate way to get modules? Like direct downloads and drop them in a directory somewhere?

You can use ftp to access modules at any of the repositories. See ~/.sword/InstallMgr/InstallMgr.conf for access details (if it has been initialized). Obtain *.zip files, and extract them in ~/.sword. They will create subdirectories mods.d and modules; the former holds configuration files, the latter has module content.

Once there is at least one Bible module in place, Xiphos will not demand that the mod.mgr be used first.

But I am very curious why (how) it manages not to give you the mod.mgr.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Edit 1 times, last edit by karl at Sep 23, 2010 7:16:51 PM]
[Sep 23, 2010 7:16:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

I would assume it just crashed. The intial box would pop up telling me that I have no Bibles and I suppose asking my permission to launch the mod.mgr. Well I would hit ok, and that box would close like I guess is expected and then the mod.mgr just never would open.
I'm a complete linux noob so I have no idea.
I'll try the direct download thing tomorrow tho and see what happens.
Then after I get it working I just have to try to get my 24 Bibles and 7 commentaries out of Esword and onto Xiphos because many aren't available on the Sword website. Or at least Gill and Calvin's Commentary.
[Sep 23, 2010 8:09:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male notlofty
Regular

Do you have any suggestion on where I might find the sword directory to extract them too? I looked around but couldn't find anything. Doesn't seem as obvious as windows where right in my windows folder I had programs.
[Sep 24, 2010 12:33:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread