mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3201 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Male Osk
Developer

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 5 years and it still won't compile.

David, I'm the one who reverted all of your changes to the wiki. Many of your edits were just vandalism, possibly unintentional because you just don't understand how to use a wiki, but vandalism nonetheless. Your other edits to the instructions for building libsword under MSVC were simply ill-advised. If you yourself cannot successfully build libsword under MSVC, why would you think yourself qualified to advise others in doing so? It was clear after I wasted a lot of time building Sword from scratch by following the directions (those you thought needed changing) that there was no problem with them (save the changed link to cURL).

ICU-Sword compiles to a dll not a lib so Lib-Sword wont compile ICUUC.Lib doesn't exist so Utilities can't compile.

If this statement actually makes sense to you, from the perspective of what happens when you compile a DLL in MSVC, then we probably cannot help you. We don't provide tutorials in the most basic aspects of MSVC usage or how shared libraries work or such.
[Aug 27, 2010 1:36:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

David,

I personally know that there is a steep learning curve involved with working with the SWORD library. I have been on the sidelines of CrossWire for almost 9 years but only started coding a year ago, and I find that I often get stumped and then get help from people like Karl & Manfred (and others). :)

I think that unfortunately there isn't enough man-power available to be properly documenting everything as well as I (and others) would like. Yes, it is bad coding practice to not properly document things, but at the same time, we're all volunteers and because there is such a small number of us, we strive to keep our users happy and add features that are highly desired, rather than spend the required time to document things properly so that a 3rd party can come along and be contributing after 30 mins of reading documentation...

However, I have found that reading the source code of Xiphos & MacSword have been very beneficial for me. :) Seeing how other front-ends use the library helps me understand the library better, but after a year of playing around, I feel confident enough to be writing patches for the library. And then I find that they're not accepted, cause I still don't know enough about how the library works... ;) But, then again, I haven't spent the time to try to fully understand the innards of the library -- that's what the API maintainers are for, and if they ever leave, then I'll probably start taking more of an interest in what magic actually happens when I ask the library to do certain things for me.

So, my thoughts are that the library is something that you're best not playing around with. BUT, instead figure out how you can make the library give you what you want. Given that I'm an iPhone programmer, I have no idea about dlls and stuff like that, so Osk's comment about shared libraries and dlls and the like make no sense to me, and I'm very happy with that. :) But I'd encourage you to persist, as I did, and I'd be very interested in seeing what you have in mind happening -- I'm about to head into a large SE Asian country, for example, and they have uses for languages other than just English... :)

my 2 cents,
Thanks, ybic
Nic. :)
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Aug 27, 2010 8:18:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male DavidStrickland

No problem OSK. You obviously are far more qualified to do whatever it is you do then I am. As usual my attempt to use "The Sword Project" and contribute has dribbled to not. Maybe I'll see ya again in another couple years perhaps by then I'll be qualified to hang out with you. Hopefully by then Microsoft will have finally fixed their IDE so your instructions will work.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DavidStrickland at Aug 28, 2010 1:22:53 PM]
[Aug 28, 2010 1:22:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male DavidStrickland

Thanks Nic,
Looks like I'm just going to bypass the whole LibSword mess and just export the Mods to Osis. I found a precompiled version of the utilities for windows and it looks like it's working so I'll likely move ahead with the project that way.
I have a huge amount of respect for the work that has been done by those of you that can do it. Since it's been ported to Java with Jsword their is still has a good future even if the Microsoft guys can't contribute. Iphone and mobile apps is the place to be I hope you can get the word out.
Anyway God bless anyone capable of contributing to this Great Effort (you to OSK wink ) see you all in a few years when I get the bur to try again.

Dave
[Aug 28, 2010 1:38:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

Hi Dave,

Well, I hope you find it useful. However, please be careful with some of the modules. You'll need to read the .conf files to read up on the various copyrights for the different modules. Some are public domain, but others are actually copyrighted & CrossWire has permission to distribute, so you're free to play with them for your personal use, but not to redistribute them... :(

Looking forward to bumping into you again when you next drop by. :)

Thanks, ybic
nic... :)
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Aug 28, 2010 9:57:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

OK, quickie tutorial on how shared libraries (including DLLs on Windows) work: When you choose to create a shared library, all of the real library content (all of the code you compiled) goes into the shared library (.dll, .so, or such). But the compiler should also produce a static library-type file (.lib, .a, or such). The latter file is used for compile-time linking to a limited extent, so that run-time (dynamic) linking knows where to find the code compiled into the shared libraries. Thus, compiling a shared library in MSVC will result in both .dlls and .libs.

Dave, you might consider looking at Zefania's content (just google them). They make all of their material available for download in an XML format. You'll want to be careful of copyrights nonetheless. Any time you distribute content without the right to do so, you open yourself up to liability (regardless of whether your upstream provider notified you that the content was under copyright).
[Sep 5, 2010 6:08:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread