mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5489 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Male wackyscientist
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
NET Maps Install

Well I just bought an iphone and I'm a little new at this, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I just downloaded the NET Maps module (under dictionaries), but once installed it says the files are placeholders until they can be changed from the directions in the directory's README file. It directs me to .../modules/lexdict/rawld4/netmaps. Where exactly is this modules directory? Can I access it from the application itself?

Thanks!
Wackyscientist
[Aug 17, 2010 4:31:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

Re: NET Maps Install

I apologize if this is a stupid question. I just downloaded the NET Maps module ...but once installed it says the files are placeholders until they can be changed from the directions in the directory's README file... Can I access it from the application itself?
OK....so you've walked up to the metaphorical border of "what was really intended here." And it's not a stupid question. A little explanation...

I created the NETmaps module by editing the necessary textual wrappers around the image references, but the images themselves are owned/copyrighted by the folks at bible.org, so I can't legitimately distribute copies of those images. But anyone can acquire them from bible.org on their own. Ergo, I put the boilerplate images in place with directions for the user to take care of replacing them on his own...and this makes perfect sense for a user under Linux or Windows, with direct access to the filesystem.

But iPhone users don't have that luxury.

You're stuck with this procedural necessity, and let me just say that comedy is not pretty:

- Go to your usual real computer.
- Download the netmaps.zip version via ftp from ftp.xiphos.org in the zip directory:
ftp://ftp.xiphos.org/zip/
- Extract the content in a convenient empty directory somewhere. You'll get mods.d/netmaps.conf and a lot of content in modules/lexdict/rawld4/netmaps. Notice the README.
- In modules/lexdict/rawld4/netmaps/images, you'll find the boilerplate images that need to be replaced. Follow the README instructions for getting the real images from bible.org, and use those as replacements.
- Recreate netmaps.zip with the now-updated content, e.g. on my Linux box I'd mumble:
zip -r netmaps.zip mods.d/netmaps.conf modules/lexdict/rawld4/netmaps
- In PocketSword, enable "module maintainer mode" in Preferences.
- in PocketSword's Downloads, tap the "Manage Sources" button (file folder) in the upper right corner and select "Module Maintainer Mode."
- You'll get a screen showing you how to use your real computer to upload the updated netmaps.zip that you've just constructed.
- Do that.

I'm sorry this is so painful, but I really can't distribute the images directly. I can only tell/show you how to get them yourself. And PocketSword on the iPhone is a different sort of problem in the face of that restriction.

The good news is that you can do regular iPhone pinch gestures to resize the images, and get whatever level of detail out of them you need. Other than Xiphos, PocketSword is the only Sword app that supports any kind of image resizing.

--karl
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Aug 17, 2010 7:02:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

Good day,

What types of graphics are supported and what would the .conf file look like please?
[Sep 2, 2010 2:06:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

This page...
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Choosing_a_SWORD_program#Image_Module_Support
...indicates the image formats we support.

For incidental use of images, no special configuration directives are needed. For those modules that are specifically image-oriented, and especially map/atlas-oriented, then we have these qualifiers for *.conf:

Category=Maps
Category=Images
(which distinguishes from other categories such as Glossaries or Daily Devotional)

Feature=Images
for modules which have heavy use of image content, regardless of Category.

Some of our applications will specifically separate maps and images modules from other groupings, when presenting module listings.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 2, 2010 1:07:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

Thank you Karl.

Do I just copy the maps/images to a folder, or do I need to "convert" the maps/images to an acceptable format for Xiphos, e.g. something similar to imp2vs or imp2ld for bibles and dictionaries?

Is there an example of a conf file which you can share with me please?

In His Name.

Johan
[Sep 3, 2010 4:43:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

Do I just copy the maps/images to a folder, or do I need to "convert" the maps/images to an acceptable format for Xiphos, e.g. something similar to imp2vs or imp2ld for bibles and dictionaries?

Regarding the images themselves, Xiphos in particular will eat any image snack you feed it. Most of the other applications will do well with most formats, but for safety, stick to JPG and PNG formats.

For a module containing images, the module's textual content needs to contain references to the images that are part of the module, referenced using the "relative root" of the module. That is, e.g. NETmaps contains textual content and index files in modules/lexdict/rawld4/netmaps, with a subdirectory images. The textual content at the top (relative root) in .../rawld4/netmaps refers to /images/map01.jpg, for instance, as though the filesystem root itself contained the images directory.

If you are simply reconstructing a NETmaps module using the images that you've obtained on your own, then you need do nothing with the textual content; simply replace the image files.

Is there an example of a conf file which you can share with me please?

On any desktop or laptop where you have a Sword app installed, look in your Sword mods.d directory, where you will find configurations for all installed modules.

Otherwise, download any *.zip module file, open it, and look at mods.d/ThatModule.conf.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 3, 2010 10:43:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wackyscientist
Stranger

Wow, thank you so much for the thoughtful response. Looks complicated, but I'll give it a shot... Thanks!!
[Sep 14, 2010 8:43:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread