mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3901 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Male rmcape
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What is the internal structure of a module?

What is the internal structure of a module?
Is it documented anywhere? I need to know.

I want to go from one format (xml) directly to a sword module. I'd prefer to not go through OSIS, TEI, or other format.

Thanks for enlightenment.

Bob
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rmcape at Aug 16, 2010 10:11:10 AM]
[Aug 16, 2010 8:28:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: What is the internal structure of a module?

Hi Bob.

I believe there are different internal formats for bibles, dictionaries and generic books.
So far I don't think this format is documented in other form than the sources.
You could use the SWORD API to create a module from your XML files. Basically our tools osis2mod, tei2mod and the like do the same, they are just an application which uses the SWORD API. If you do that you are free to use different source formats.
However we recommend to use one of our supported formats.

Manfred
[Aug 16, 2010 12:53:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male rmcape
Stranger

Hi Manfred,

Thanks!

Bob
[Aug 18, 2010 8:32:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male DavidStrickland

The first part of the internal structure is found in the Config file in the mods.d directory.
The structure of this file is documented in http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:confFiles.

Some details from that documentation

There are currently 11 different possible formats for the contents of a module.

RawText, zText, RawCom, RawCom4, zCom, HREFCom, RawFiles, RawLD, RawLD4, zLD, RawGenBook

3 are used the most. These are the compressed formats. zText, zCom, and zLD. These are compressed using ZIP or LZSS. Zip is the ZLib library created by Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler is used to compress and decompress most content. LZSS is all but obsolete.
[Aug 23, 2010 6:09:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male pneaveill
Regular

Without getting too techie here, what are the differences between the various types of compression and in what situations would one matter over another (what difference does it make with one over another). Not sure how to word that without it sounding either stupid or demanding -- apologies in advance.
[Sep 1, 2010 6:27:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Well, the difference is the algorithm used to compress the data.
I think though that only ZIP is used. All modules I have seen that were compressed used ZIP.
zlib however is able to also compress in different formats. That doesn't mean though that we use it.

Manfred
[Sep 2, 2010 1:50:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male pneaveill
Regular

Sorry, in my haste last evening had asked info on the wrong thing. What differences are the module formats -- how do they differ and all that please?
[Sep 2, 2010 6:00:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male pneaveill
Regular

Degree is in Bible and experience in hardware, so willing to tackle this if can get tutorial or whatever please.
[Sep 2, 2010 2:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

All modules formats are basically stored to disk using a custom binary encoding.
Dictionary, Bibles/Commentaries and Genbooks all differ.
I can't go into details because I don't know them myself.
If you want to know it exactly you'll have to read the sources or ask in the mailing list.

Manfred
[Sep 2, 2010 2:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male pneaveill
Regular

Sorry for the newbish question here, but how to get/post on that list please?
[Sep 2, 2010 4:45:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread