mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36774 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Male Frohmen
Stranger

Sweden
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
OSIS Dictionary module

Hi!
I'm creating a dictionary module and I found the following file: smith.zip.
The zip-file contains the Smith's Bible Dictionary in OSIS format, so I thought that was the correct format to create my dictionary in.
So the actual OSIS xml-file is already created, but now I'm having trouble to make a module out of the xml-file.

I've downloaded the sword utilities compiled for Win32.
And I've used the osis2mod utitility before to create a bible module, but now it's a dictionary so the osis2mod won't work.
By reading the wiki it seemed like the xml2gbs utility was the right one to use, so I tried it out and it created three files with the following extensions: bdt, dat & idx.
But the module doesn't seem to work, I've tried to use both the rawLD and rawGenBook as the value for ModDrv in the conf-file.
I have seen that the Smith module (the actuall one) contains only two files: dat & idx.

So what utility do you use to create only the dat & idx files?
Or do I need to convert my 4000 lines of xml to another format?

Please let me know if you know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks in advance!
[Jul 26, 2010 1:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: OSIS Dictionary module

Hi.

I have little knowhow in creating dictionaries but our preferred format for those is TEI.
Here is our wiki page regarding TEI dictionaries:
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries

Since the Smith dictionary source is OSIS it seems that OSIS is supported as well.

Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Jul 26, 2010 3:53:23 AM]
[Jul 26, 2010 3:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Frohmen
Stranger

Sweden

Hi.

I have little knowhow in creating dictionaries but our preferred format for those is TEI.
Here is our wiki page regarding TEI dictionaries:
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/TEI_Dictionaries

Since the Smith dictionary source is OSIS it seems that OSIS is supported as well.

Manfred
Hi, and thank you for your quick answer!

I hoped that I wouldn't have to convert to another format, but maybe it's not that hard with a few regular expressions.
Does TEI support paragraphs?

But I still don't understand why the Smith dictionary source is OSIS and which tool was used to convert the source into a module.
It would save me a lot of time though, if I don't have to convert my OSIS source.
If someone know which tool I should use please respond.
[Jul 26, 2010 6:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Chris will probably respond himself. He is normally reading here as well.

Manfred
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Jul 26, 2010 6:36:48 AM]
[Jul 26, 2010 6:36:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

In case no will respond you should have a look or write to our mailing lists.
http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo
The "sword-devel" list is probably the one where you reach the most people.
Unfortunately many are not looking into the forum or too infrequently.

Regards,
Manfred
[Jul 28, 2010 1:45:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

The smith.zip OSIS doc is ancient, so I'll remove it. That file was created as an early demo of OSIS markup being used for dictionaries, and was never intended as a model for others. The version of OSIS it uses is very old and hasn't been supported by anyone for many, many years.
[Jul 29, 2010 5:06:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

Good afternoon,

Is there an example of a small dictionary I can use to create my own dictionary (probably with less that 50 entries) please - my dictionary will only contain words with a description?

I have tried:
$$$Word
This word means ...

I used "imp2ld", my source is in UTF-8, I have tried ThML and GBF in the config file, but when checking the dictionary in Xiphos (Windows), everything is just garbage.

Please help me.

Thank you,

Johan
[Aug 16, 2010 6:20:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

I used "imp2ld", my source is in UTF-8, I have tried ThML and GBF in the config file, but when checking the dictionary in Xiphos (Windows), everything is just garbage

I suppose I would like to know the nature of the garbage: Bad content or mis-formatting or...?

If the correct words are present but are not properly formatted, then you probably have problems with the configuration file. You need to ensure that things like SourceType are properly set in order for the filters to generate the correct content for the applications to use. Also, if you are not compressing but your .conf includes CompressType (a common mistake for new module creators who are starting from another .conf and editing it to make it their own), then the resulting display will be garbage at very best. And since your content is UTF-8, did you include the Encoding descriptor?

Take a look at any other dictionary modules in your Sword/mods.d directory for pointers. Compare a few to see how they differ. Perhaps post some of the content of your .conf here for us to look at.

In general, it is correct that the format

$$$Word1
content to describe Word1
$$$Word2
content to describe Word2

is all that's needed for an import format file to be used by imp2ld.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Aug 16, 2010 7:04:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

Thank You for the quick response.

I am fairly certain the config file is correct, but will double check.

What does "
[Aug 16, 2010 11:23:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

What does "encoding descriptor" mean please?
Johan
[Aug 16, 2010 11:26:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread