mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3219 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Male robertpaulelliott

South Africa
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Look up in dictionary

Hi guys, whats the deal with right clicking a word and selecting 'look up in dictionary', when I select a dictionary, that pane opens up, but the search text is not looked up. It appears its because the search context is not changed for the word.

Shotto!
Paul
[Apr 25, 2010 1:42:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: Look up in dictionary

Hi Paul.

I believe the word is looked up but it might not occur in the dictionary which will filter the dictionary word list in the right side bar empty.
Or there is more then one search results. In that case you have to select one or more manually.

Manfred
[Apr 26, 2010 2:58:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male robertpaulelliott

South Africa

Hey hey, yeah, not quite working right. No matter which word I choose, when I go 'Look up...' it opens the dictionary with a list on the right that includes the entire reference starting with the first entry in the dictionary.
[Apr 28, 2010 2:25:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hmm. I'm not sure I can follow.

When I select the word "darkness" in KJV Gen 1:5 do right-click->lookup_in_dictionary->Smith then the Smith dictionary opens and filters the original key list so that the only darkness is left. This entry is now automatically selected and the explanation displayed.

You need to make sure the word is actually selected (has a different background colour).

Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Apr 28, 2010 2:48:01 AM]
[Apr 28, 2010 2:46:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male robertpaulelliott

South Africa

Hi Manfred, thanks for your patience I really appreciate it. Could you try with the Greek Strongs? Are you running PC or Mac? I can't get mine to work the way yours does.
[Apr 28, 2010 4:14:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Well, MacSword is for Mac only. So yes, I'm running Mac. :)

Please explain to me first what exactly it is you're trying to do.
If you say Greek Strong's then there is actually no need for the "Lookup in dictionary" function.

Manfred
[Apr 28, 2010 7:32:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male robertpaulelliott

South Africa

ha ha ha, ahhh, sorry, my bad, I recently converted to mac, so I am still thinking in e sword terms.

all I want is a right click way to look up a word's origin in a strongs book. thats the short and sweet. if there is a better way to do it, please let me know.
[Apr 29, 2010 5:22:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Well, if you have a module that supports Strong's numbers like KJV for example and enable "Show Strong's numbers" in the mod options.
And finally if you have set a default Strong's dictionary in preferences then Strong's explanation of a number is displayed as tooltip and in the preview panel if you hover with your mouse over the Strong's links.
If you do left-click on the Strong's link the dictionary will open in another tab.

Like in this screenshot which shows the tooltip. Open the preview panel if you want the explanation persistent.

Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Apr 29, 2010 7:47:45 AM]
[Apr 29, 2010 7:47:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male robertpaulelliott

South Africa

awesome, thanks a lot man!
[Apr 30, 2010 5:17:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male db_alpha
Stranger

I've encountered a similar problem. Manfred's post worked to a point.

But when I left click on the Strong's number I get a blank dictionary screen. The right hand column is headed Dictionaries of Hebrew and Greek Words followed by numbers 0001 to 00033. There's no title in the tab at the top either.

If I click on one of the numbers on the right, the number list changes to run from 00001 to 05624. But the main panel remains blank.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using the latest download and this is a brand new installation.

Regards

David
[May 3, 2010 12:46:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread