mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3085 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Male rbeltz48
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Installing Xiphos on Ubuntu 9.04

Can anyone give me a SIMPLE step-by-step outline of how to install the Xiphos Bible program in Ubuntu 9.04? Thanks in advance.
[Apr 14, 2010 5:55:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Re: Installing Xiphos on Ubuntu 9.04

Copy this line:

Open a terminal and type:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

This will open a text editor containing the list of archives that your system is currently using. Scroll to the bottom of the file and paste the line above.
Save the file and exit the text editor.
Copy this into the terminal:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 287A2031

Update your system with this command:
sudo apt-get update

And install Xiphos:
sudo apt-get install xiphos

Let me know if you have any problems following this. As a side note, you should really upgrade your version of Ubuntu. We will probably be dropping support for this version soon.

Matthew
[Apr 14, 2010 5:20:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male rbeltz48
Stranger

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help. I was able to install Xiphos and get it running. Now to learn the package.

I re-installed Ubuntu 8.10 and then 9.04 after a Real Player 11 installation failed to work properly and then I could not uninstall it and had no access to the files to simply delete them. I previously was at Ubuntu 9.10 but found that it ran a bit slower than 8.10 or 9.04. I'm not sure what caused this. I have a IBM Thinkpad R51 with a 1.5 GHz Centrino processor. Ubuntu does run faster and more efficiently than WIN XP Pro SP2.

On a side note, do you or anyone else you know or someone on this forum know much about installing and running PC Study Bible 2 under WINE or Crossover? I have not been able to install the Bible program under either of these utilities. I consider PC Study Bible to be a much more refined and easier to use package than Xiphos, have used it since 1996 and still have it on my Dell desktop which runs WIN XP Pro. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Rick Beltz
[Apr 15, 2010 6:31:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Could you state specific features that you need that Xiphos doesn't have or could be easier to use? We quite often get this sort of complaint from users of other software, but more often than not the features they want exist already, they just haven't found them yet.
[Apr 21, 2010 7:39:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread